ahhh i need help

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by internationalfarmer, Dec 30, 2007.

1. internationalfarmer

internationalfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2007
    hagerstown,maryland
    i plan on getting my first chicks in like 2 months and i wont to know what predators i might deal with. i live in maryland.way out in the woods so please help thanks. sam

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    A bunch, unfortunately! Fox, raccoons, dogs, hawks - for starters. So they will need a lot of protection.

Smart of you to be planning ahead. All the best.
    JJ

3. internationalfarmer

Sep 25, 2007
    hagerstown,maryland
    thanks will i have any problems with bears. o please do not say i might have some it will be really hard to cope with

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    You may well have bears. Check with your state's Fish and Game department to see if they "reside" in your area. If they do, a whole other level of protection is needed because they are so strong.

5. internationalfarmer

Sep 25, 2007
    hagerstown,maryland
    looks like it is time to bring out the old balckpowder and have to sit and do some night watching. but if all is good i wont have a problem with it.

6. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    There is one easy way to find out if you will have a bear problem. Leave your garbage out where they can get to it. If there are any bears in the area you will find out fast enough. If you do have them in the area, you will need a good electric fence. Have the electric running though barb wire,
    the wire supplied WILL NOT penitrate the hair. The barbs go in between the hairs and hit the skin. There are many sites that will tell you how to do this.

7. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I had an old rabbit hutch for a coop and the bears never touched them. But as a precaution I would set up something like a land mine or bear trap lol

8. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    It's hard to say from afar as animal populations vary so by region. I would call your local game warden and ask them the question. If you are in the woods and far from other human development, you may be surprised to find that you have fewer predator problems, because the animals have ample natural prey available and they don't have to risk contact with humans to eat.
    However, the more you can do ahead of time to build a secure environment the better. I suggest electric fencing around the coop and run for extra peace of mind.
    If you have the time and desire, a good dog can be invaluable at letting you know when critters are prowling!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by