Ahhh my bator is acting weird , the other eggs are here

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by conny63malies, Feb 24, 2009.

1. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I am on the end of day 18 and my bator is acting funny. Since i took the eggs of the turner it wont heat past 98F. THe bator turns on and off but it wont go higher. Is it the wafer or should i replace the whole switch? Right now i got some heat cable in the bator to keep the temp up. But i need to fix it right since i have soem Serama eggs coming on thursday from Texas. Can i get a wafer from TSC or my local feed store or should i rig up a home made bator?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  2. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    you should be about to pick one up at most feed stores not sure about TSC 98 is not a bad temp tho would be nice if it were higher but i would check the thermomter first tho. once you take the truner out the eggs are lower in the bator and would take more to get the temp up if the light come on when you trun up after you check your thermomter i would maybe try to trun up just a bit more and watch closely you dont want to get to hot. good luck with your hatch. keep us posted.

3. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Right now i got the bator at a table 100F and 70% hum. so i am not going to mess with it no more. I didnt even think about that the motor of the turner would up the temperature in the incubator.But ater reading several sites they apperantly raise it by 1F. But i will play it safe and buy a new wafer.

4. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:Ignore comments about the turner motor. It doesn't have anything like sufficient power to raise the temp, and even if it did, surely the thermostat would take account of it [​IMG]

What you should do is run a thorough test before using it again. It needs to be stable for several days before you commit more eggs to it..

Did the room temp fall? That could account for the variation.

On a side not ..... It's actually ok for the temp to be down a degree in the last three days. The chicks in the eggs are generating quite a bit of heat, and they won't get too upset at 98F.

Increased temps during this period can do substantial harm

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    When the wafer goes bad the temp. will keep going higher. If the heating unit is staying on, then my guess the room is to cold for it to keep up.

Sorry see it is turning on and off, thats a good sign. thermostat working right.

98 to 100 the last few days will be ok.

6. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    THe bator is actually in the warmest room in the house . The temp in the master bedroom never falls under 71F . I will clean it out after the hatch and make a 24 hour dry run after the hatch. But i will make a home made bator anyways , just in case. I hope it was just from me adding tapwater that was cool instead of warm .

Oh man now I am in a pinch. I just checked the USPS site and my eggs have arrived at 5.24am . THat means the serama eggs will be here by noon . I thought since they are coming from central TX they would take longer to come here . The eggs i ordered from Leon Valley always took 4 days. Now i got to make a bator today.

7. the_eagle69

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    no no you need to let the new shiped eggs sit at least a day to stablize the air sack before trying to hatch the tap water being cold could have been all the problem.

8. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:I know i have to let them sit for some time. But the GQF wont be empty until late friday/saturday morning and the eggs are here now. I dont want tol et them sit longer than they have to sit.I would like to set them thursday noon time.

9. the_eagle69

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    Good. i understand i dont like to let eggs sit long i hae some right now that are pushing time. I'm running 3 trays in a GQF one hatch tray and 2 LG's it gets tough some times trying not to compet for the hatching tray. Good luck With your hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by