AHHH!! My quail are pipping and....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shelleyd2008, Mar 28, 2009.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I'll be gone ALL DAY!! [​IMG] Why do these little boogers seem to know when to drive you crazy?? They aren't supposed to hatch until Sunday, but they already have 5 or 6 pips on them!! There are only 37 eggs, from 60, so hopefully all of them will hatch [​IMG] They are supposed to be an assortment of goldens, A&M's, and normal brown jumbos. Plus, my chicken eggs from rbamterry went to the hatcher tonight. Out of 4 good eggs, everyone of them are pipped into the air cell already [​IMG] So I'll probably have one of those hatch too [​IMG] And I won't be here to see them [​IMG]

2. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    But what a wonderful surprise when you get home to see them!!!!

[​IMG]

is it illegal to take the desert quail eggs and hatch em? I live in az, and saw some eggs last year.... but never thought about it til a few days ago. Just curious i doubt i will

3. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I would think so. I know in most places (if not all) it is illegal to mess with things like canadian geese's nests and wild mallards, so I would think wild quail would fall into the same category. You would most likely need a permit to own them too. Too much hassle.

4. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    i was just curious. the hatching fever bug bit me and i see eggs and i automatically want babies out of them not food. [​IMG]

ahhaha

5. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Hey Shelley you need to hide your date book so your birds want see it and be able to pull this on you again! Sounds like they all got together and made a plan. They done heard how you will have that camera out and everything. [​IMG]

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Yes, I'm sure they have heard me talking about the consignment auction we are going to tomorrow. It is huge, and only held twice a year, so I have been reminding everyone I know. Sneaky little chicks overheard me and have decided to bust out and have a party while we are gone! [​IMG]

It's bad enough that the quail almost always hatch when I'm sleeping, but to finally have pips in the evening, only to be gone the next day?? That's just not fair [​IMG]

7. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    SAMEZIES!~

my button quail are pipping too!

8. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Quote:O.K. plan for next time you hatch, when you start to talk about your plans "spell" everything out about your plans and casually mention that the camera is broken. I'm sure that will work and you will get to see them. [​IMG]

9. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I woke up this morning to 4 hatched, and came home to 5, so I guess they didn't have a conspiracy going on too badly [​IMG] I just hope there are more to hatch; it would stink majorly if these were the only ones I get! [​IMG]

10. Sock Puppet

Sock Puppet Grumpy Hen

Mar 3, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Quote:My Father in law told me it is illegal to take them from the wild. I was thinking the same thing [​IMG]

soooo, we will be purchasing ours (gambels) which is what we have here in AZ. I will hold on to the receipt just in case.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by