Ahhh! Now what do I do? Decisions, decisions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kitkatbahr, Apr 27, 2009.

1. kitkatbahr

kitkatbahr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Merritt Island, FL
    Well, I posted yesterday about my four new ducks, that I was hoping were hens. Someone suggested checking their voices to see if they quack loud or are raspy. I did that just now and three are very loud quackers, and one is raspy. So, I have one drake with three hens. A good ratio, except, that I bought what I thought were four girls, for the two drakes (Muscovies) I already have. I can't deal with three drakes and three hens! LOL

My new ducks are Pekin/Swedish mix (from what we have determined). They are very small, compared to the Muscovey drakes who are probably a good 12 + pounds, easily. The Muscovey drakes are just over a year old. The new ducks are four months old. I hope they get a bit bigger but right now, they maybe weigh 3 -4 pounds at the most.

Ideally, the best thing would be to keep the little drake with his three hens (they may be related, though, cause I believe they are all from the same hatch. Will that matter?) Then get some bigger hens for the Muscovey drakes.

I already am totally in love with my little new ducks. The guy I got them from (a private owner/small farm) said if I wanted I could either buy more (he has four more from this same hatch) or trade if I found out one or two was a drake. So, the easy thing would be to trade my little silver drake for a hen from the same hatch and be done with it. Then I have four hens for the Muscovey drakes, which is what I wanted. But, since I have gotten them, I am afraid these hens are too small for the big guys.

My pens are not big enough to support a whole lot more ducks (and I'm not sure my husband will go for a couple more! LOL) I was pushing it to get four with the two I have. I could "maybe" get two more bigger hens (one for each Muscovey drake) but I don't think that is enough. I know the ratio is supposed to be 3 hens to 1 drake and I was already gonna be short with just two per drake.

I could also just rehome the two Muscovey drakes, but I feel bad about that too. The one, Charlie, was orphaned at 3 days old, and I hand-raised him. The other was from a rescue and was about 10 months old when I got it. Both have Angel wing. Weirdly enough, though, I am finding I am more attached to my new ducks than to the two Muscovey drakes. Charlie, the hand-raised one, has been awfully vicious lately and has been attacking me. I know he is sexually mature, it is Spring and he wants to breed. I have had to take the advice on BYC (what a great place for info) and have had to show him the pecking order. It is working, but he needs to be reminded several times a week! LOL The other drake, "Drake" is doing the same thing, but not near as bad as Charlie, and I think only because Charlie is doing it. He has only had two lessons, to Charlie's 8 or 9 by now! LOL

Ok, guys, so what do I do? Eating them is way out of the question!

Here are my Muscovey boys and the new ducks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the "blue" ones is a drake. Not the one with the brown patch, but the one in the back, which is funny, cause her bill is greener than his. They both have green bills though, but hers is very apparent. I thought if any were a drake it would be that one, but it isn't!

kathy

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by