AHHH Power outage!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SundownWaterfowl, May 8, 2009.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] At 8pm the power went out. We didnt even get any rain, or wind. It was out for about an hour till I got the generator on. I had eggs in my Brinsea Octagon 40. About 25 eggs in it. Some very special buff silkie eggs due to hatch next week, some mandarin eggs, and some call eggs due next week.

ETA: Temp dropped to about 86.

They should be fine right? Im so worried now.

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  2. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    For no longer than that, I would think they would be fine. However, I am no expert.

3. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    They should be fine. It may take another day to hatch so don't panic on day 21.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2009
  4. Webfoot

Webfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Central TX
    Our electrical service is terrible [​IMG] and on two separate occasions we've lost power for an entire day while I had eggs in the bator. Both batches were FINE. Don't sweat it [​IMG]

Webfoot

5. rbar

rbar Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2009
    Dayton, Tennessee
    Everyone needs a backup plan.
    Some choices:

1. Generator (expensive? Check prices, now just a fraction of Y2K prices!).

2. Car battery and DC to AC converter. (Walmart...an earlier post had specifics.)

The second is my choice. I keep a battery and converter in my closet, occasionally exchanging my battery with my car battery to keep it topped off during hatching season.
    I have never had to use it long enough to run it out of juice, so I am not sure how long it would work continuously...I would unplug my turner to save juice, though, turning it on occasionally.
    The Converter is supposed to start sounding an alarm when the juice gets low...have not heard it yet.

6. Crickett

Crickett Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    My power went off for four hours and my chicks are hatching now. Probably they will be ok, after all, Momma hen get off the nest to eat and stuff.

7. arllcountrygirl

arllcountrygirl lavender nutt

The exact same thing happened to me, but we don't have a gen. I was in bed and hubby came home about 6am from his shift. Woke me up and told me power was off, I was groggy and said ok which he quickly reminded me of my bators - Oh crap [​IMG] I went and looked it was 85 [​IMG] Called electric company - power outage in our area - would be 3 hrs before power came on. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Well fortunately it was only 2 hrs and I had covered bator with a towel, so I don't think it will be that bad. I wouldn't open until power came back on and when I did - I had 7 fuzzy butts waiting on me and more on the way. [​IMG]
    You should be fine. [​IMG]

8. Backyard Farm

Backyard Farm Certified Personal Chicken Attendant

Apr 1, 2009
    An inverter can save your babies in such a situation.
    I have a 300 watt inverter and all small incubators are 100 watts or less.

It cost about $40. It can run a bator off a car battery several hours before you would have to restart the car to recharge (about 20 min, I've been told).

I've also used it to curl my hair for work and when out camping.

The one I have can plug into your cigarette lighter or has clamps to hook up directly to battery.

That thing has saved me a few times!!

9. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Thank you all. [​IMG]

The power was supposed to be back on at 11pm, but then it was changed to 3am. Luckly we got it back at 2 am. Good thing I had a generator or those would have been goners. Didnt get much sleep last night, as I was worrying about the generator shutting off, and now have a massive headache.

10. Backyard Farm

Backyard Farm Certified Personal Chicken Attendant

Apr 1, 2009
    [​IMG] Thank goodness!!

Hope your babies are ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by