AHHH!!! rant....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by TheDuckCrew, Apr 14, 2009.

1. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    Well, my precious little pekin girl slushie has bumblefoot. its really been affecting her more and more. i'm on vacation this week, and i decided i'd start treating it. my mom promised to help me on saturday, then backed out. she said we would do it monday (yesterday.) so i have all the supplies ready, all the tools sterilized and what does she say? she doesn't want to get dirty! all she has to do is hold the duck as i treat her foot. UGH! so then she said we would do it today. so once again, i collect everything, sterilize a couple more things, and she decides she doesn't want to do it anymore. really?! i keep telling her if we don't fix it, it could get so bad that it could kill her. this morning she said she would help me before my sister went to the doctor, so she went out, did some things and came home. i asked if we could treat her now. she says she only has 2 hours before bringing my sis to the doctor. 2 HOURS!!!! but noooo. why would she ever want to help slushie? she got home from the doctor, and i asked AGAIN if we could do it know. she says she doesn't want to and then leaves saying she has to go to the bank...she went to the bank this morning!!!!!! i'm soo mad. no one else will help me! i'm tempted to just ask my neighbors if they will just hold the duck while i treat her. i'm sick of my mom avoiding it.

2. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    whats bumblefoot and how do ducks get it??

3. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Wrap her in a couple towels and she should stay very calm. I did my hens foot by myself. I wrapped her in a beach towel and laid her on the counter. I kept my arm over her just incase but she never moved a muscle. Same thing when I rewrapped it a few days later. Once she was in the beach towel she never moved she was a good girl the whole time.

4. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    bumblefoot is a staph infection on their foot. i'm pretty sure the infection is always on their foot, but if they scrap or cut their foot on something, the infection gets in and grows. it cause the duck to limp and can get so large that it would need vet attention and if the infection travels throughout the body, it can kill the duck. if a duck has bumblefoot, on the bottom of their foot is a large absess with a black scab. the scab must come off and the puss and infection drained from the foot. then it must be dressed and if done correctly with antibiotic cream, it should be gone after about a week.

5. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:she has to stay outside. my little 5 year old brother wants to help, so maybe i can just have him make sure she doesn't move. when i caught her before, she was fine until i had to flip her over. that scared her. then she calmed down and let me check out her feet, but it was hard to keep her still because if i let go, she would take off.

6. Jeff9118

Jeff9118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Greenup KY
    Sounds like a dirty job but if I lived closer I would come help you. My 2 year old loves ducks and he would have bandaids ready. We got a new hen(chicken) thats butt had been picked bloody and he threw a fit until we put some on her. Her name is Booboo butt. Yea he named her. She is all healed up now but we are still waiting on feathers. Is there anyone else you can call? Maybe a fellow poultry friend?

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    If you are unsure of doing it by yourself, ask the neighbor or whoever is handy to hold the duckie. Poor thing. I would come help you if I could.

8. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    thanks everybody. i don't have any poultry friends nearby. only one in town! my neighbors love the ducks though so maybe they could help. if not, hopefully the town guy that works with the landtrust will help me. he's super nice and also loves the ducks. he'd probably want pictures of him holding her to show off to everybody!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by