Ahhh, The Bliss of a Quiet Country Morning-----NOT

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by drdoolittle, Jun 29, 2011.

1. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    It was a beautiful, peaceful, sunny morning this 29th day of June. I had taken care of the dogs, settled the goats to breakfast in their barn, and the pot belly pigs were quietly munching their chow. I let the chickens out to free-range and sat down to watch them as I waited for the others to finish eating. Then I heard it------"I'M ON THE HIGHWAY TO HELL............" Not again!!!! [​IMG] The neighbor, playing his music so loud his house must be vibrating like it's in a small earthquake----at the least.

I'm not against music---of any kind----I just want to enjoy the sounds of nature at 8 a.m., not someone jammin' to ACDC. I moved to the country to avoid all the noise pollution, and I think the neighbor ought to respect that. After all, we each live on 5 acres, I think he could enjoy his down time w/o me hearing it. I know, I know, they can hear my roos crowing at all hours-----but is that even the same? I had to move to the country in order to even HAVE my animals-----he can listen to his music anywhere.

I wrestle with the idea of going over there and asking him if he could turn down the volume, as it's causing quite a hub-bub at my place and the hens are too busy gettin' down to bother with laying eggs:cd [​IMG] [​IMG] . Or should I just let it go-----it's been going on every day this week, almost all day yesterday. I do normally like these neighbors----they keep to themselves for the most part, and don't complain about my chickens (not that the roos ever crow any louder than normal)----but I can't stand being forced to listen to someone else's idea of morning meditation. [​IMG]

I'll probably do what I always do-----complain to hubby, the kids, fellow BYCers, and the animals, and let it go. Maybe the neighbor moved out to the country to be able to blare his ACDC w/o someone from Neighborhood Code Enforcement coming along and citing the "Noise Ordinance", and I can respect that. But maybe the neighbor could at least invite us over for drinks to watch the sun go down with my roos crowing as the background music. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Q9

Q9 General Headache

Quote:Get a shotgun or a large rifle, then target shoot really early in the morning or late in the evening. Keep the firing fairly constant. [​IMG]

3. maple

maple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Is this normal behavior or does he have the week or so off do you think?

4. drdoolittle

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Q9 wrote:
    Get a shotgun or a large rifle, then target shoot really early in the morning or late in the evening. Keep the firing fairly constant.

Sounds like a good idea------but I'd probably end up shooting myself in the foot! True story------I once shot myself in both calves at the same time with a BB gun (this was as an adult)!!​

5. drdoolittle

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    maple wrote:
    Is this normal behavior or does he have the week or so off do you think?

Oh, he doesn't do this too often, I just thought it was a kinda' cute thing to write about............not really as ticked as the post probably comes off as sounding. I just like to write (but it is a completely true story). [​IMG] Well, maybe not the part about the hens "gettin' down". [​IMG]

6. Quote:Get a shotgun or a large rifle, then target shoot really early in the morning or late in the evening. Keep the firing fairly constant. [​IMG]

I completly agree! get like a 50 cal. or just a Glock, Glocks are surprizingly loud!

best of all, get a permit for an automatic assalt rifle and shoot til the cows come home!

7. maple

maple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    I just wondered.

I just moved and have been startled a handful of times by the neighbor kiddy corner me by big BOOMS! sometimes at 10 pm and sometimes at 3 am. It only goes off 2 or three times and doesn't really sound like a firecracker because I've heard those PLENTY of times by my old neighbors...don't know if it makes sense but the firecracker, though loud still has a higher pitch than this boom...which makes me think shotgun but they are on a small lot? so it should be illegal for them to shoot a gun. As I found this out at my other home....if you don't have a big yard...you can't shoot a gun because the trajectory (spelling?) far exceeds the distance of your yard and will travel out of your yard and could endanger someone..., according to the police chief.

So I sit out on my front porch quietly to try to see what they are doing over there...it's a young couple and a guy friend that comes over and they laugh and are loud....it doesn't really bother me...they're laugh and loudness but I am VERY curious to what the loud boom is.

8. drdoolittle

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Could be M-80s. I don't really mind what the neighbor is doing, just though it would be an amusing anecdote. I would mind if it happened day-in and day-out. I wouldn't even mind the occasional firework, just as long as it IS occasional.

9. Rockin' Reds

Rockin' Reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Penrose, Colorado
    Maybe he hates his job and he was just getting pumped up before work. [​IMG]

10. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    When I read the title I thought to myself 'it's quiet in the country???', lol. With everyone's cows, roos, goats, horses, donkeys, chickens, pigs, dogs, and everything else sounding off constantly it usually anything but quiet, lol. With all the country noises, maybe the neighbor feels like he's living that song. [​IMG]

Hoping they turn it down a bit for you, though. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by