ahhh to many roosters...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ladybug99, Oct 2, 2011.

1. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    Well I started out with one Welsummer Rooo and now after adding additional chicks and hatching out two my self I now have five... is there a place on these boards where I can give them away??? I don't want to post them on Craigs list as around here I hear as most go to chicken soup .. these guys are my pets and I just could not sleep at night if I gave them away for slaughter.

They are beautiful and are all under a year old, just starting to crow. If I can't give them away any suggestions on how to house them.. can they live together in one pen??? We have plenty of room to add another coop if necessary.[​IMG]

2. chickenbuttsowhat

chickenbuttsowhat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Danville, Arkansas
    u can post them down in the auction area i see alot of ppl on there try to give away their lil rooster or sell them if they are pure breeds or something im the same way i have 5 rooster cuz im too scared to sell them if they r going to get eatten only sell to ppl i know wont hehe

3. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Try the auction area as there should be some BYC people that live close to your area that will take them into their new homes

4. ChestnutRidge

ChestnutRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    You can also check your area for small-scale, local poultry sales. I've been able to successfully find homes for six extra cockerels this year at our monthly local poultry sale. I've also had success placing ad in the Virginia Farm Classifieds online. I checked, and they have a site for NJ (which is where I grew up, BTW [​IMG] ): http://www.bestfarmbuys.com/classifieds/state.asp?state=NJ.

Also, since they grew up together, they are less likely to fight. You could keep them penned together away from the girls until you find homes for them.

Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by