Ahhh! Woman with a jig saw! How wide the pop hole???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickylou, Feb 17, 2009.

1. chickylou

chickylou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I'm in the process of using my hubby's jig saw, but hubby as always knows what is best on these matters.

I failed to ask a pivotal question. How wide and tall should the pop hole for the chickens be.

We're getting Barred Rock, Buffs and Austrops so they are not the bantam breeds.

Any out there that know...my jig saw is HOT! My baby is asleep and time is running out!

Thanks soooo much:)

2. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I would say a foot and a half tall and a foot wide should be good.

3. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

LOLOL...[​IMG]
    Girl....I too feel the same way about my hubbys power tools!! AS soon as he leaves for work...I am plugging in that big ole TIGER saw and looking for some metal to cut !!!! LOL!! [​IMG]
    He knows I can do it ...but he is too squeemish to watch...says I make him too nervous! HA! [​IMG]

4. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I was using the big old DeWalt chop saw the other day while hubby was standing there and the saw grabbed the wood, threw it in the air, and bent the saw blade LOL!!!!! He turned two shades of green before he realized I hadn't even flinched. He said "my God, woman I thought it had you" LOL!!!!!!!! I told him I do it all the time when he's not around and don't have ANY trouble, so go away before you make me break something!!! He just walked off shaking his head.

5. will hunt for food

will hunt for food Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    You chicks scare me, and i don't scare easy. [​IMG]

6. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

My husband and I have "His" and Her's" chainsaws. [​IMG]

7. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    Yup I finally got 'permission' to use the tools. He thinks I'll cut my hand off...havent yet!! [​IMG]

So I made nest boxes and roosts the other day when he was gone, and yesterday I built three sets of shelves. [​IMG]

I told him I would make someone a good husband! [​IMG]

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    My DH tells the construction guys he works with that he married me because I had more tools than he did. It was true then and is true today! Hand or power, I probably have it- except for a router......I'm working on that!

AHappychick is right about size.

will hunt for food- you'd be surprised then at how many women carpenters there are...... [​IMG]

9. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    mines about 18" x 18" my boyfriend bought me my own power tools. The men look twice when they drive past and Im out there cutting something up [​IMG]

10. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

ROFL I think we're safer with power tools because we have a bit of fear! I know I think before I pull that trigger! My dad taught me as a kid to use a lot of stuff, I was his helper while he remodled the house, but I didn't do much once I moved out... Now, If I don't do it, it don't get done! So I'm back in the saddle and learning again.

Also, I'll never forget when a neighbor of mine who's a single mother of four told me once after a particularly difficult day, "I need a WIFE!" cracked me up. Now years later I think about how having a 'helpmate' is a real blessing. *sigh* ok, I'm going back to trying to snake out that drain now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by