AHHHH!!!! Darn animals!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by lovin my birds, Apr 21, 2011.

1. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    Dont get me wrong I LOVE all animals. But today i resent the wild ones. At least the predators. I have (had) six baby ducks, 3 that are 5 months, and the other three were 3 months old. I made a pen in my barn for them until i get there run comletely done, and since there is a pond and the younger ones still arent fully featherer yet they havent gone out there. So i opened the door for them today so they could have some sunlight today. Which they love. Anyway, I got a call from my sister today and she told me one of my ducks was missing. I didnt think anything of it because two of mine have made themselves a little hole to sleep in during the day. So when i got home i discovered a hole had been ripped in my pen and my little baby khaki was gone. I searched and searched and couldnt find her anywhere in the barn or there pen. I started to freak out. Then i discovered one of my rouens, he has most of his feathers on one of his wings pulled out and a small bite mark. I ran around like a chicken with my head cut off. LOL! UGH! So i go searching out in the yard thinking she wont be there she was carried off by whatever this was. But I turned around and there she was in the middle of the yard. DEAD! [​IMG] I was furious! Not only was i mad that this animal had attack my ducks it ticked me off. (sorry for the language). Why the heck would an animal take the time to break into my pen to get to my ducks and then kill one of them hurt another one and then not have the decency to take her off and eat her. [​IMG] Ridiculous! I realze it is part of life, and im not about to go hunting a random animals down, especially since it was doing what comes naturally. It doesnt know anything about this is a pet so its not allowed to be eaten. [​IMG] It just does what it does to feed itself. But no it left my poor duck in the middle of the yard, still intact. Whitout being eaten. [​IMG]

Sorry had to vent, and i know you all will understand better than most.

BTW i am looking for another khaki to replace her. I am sad that i lost her but want one because i love there personality. If you know of anyone who has some close to me let me know. I have a wanted ad on here as well for one. It explains everything. [​IMG]

[​IMG] RIP Kasey!

2. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

Sounds like a dog. Dogs kill for fun and will not eat it.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Guard the remainder carefully. Whatever did the killing will return and the rest of your ducklings may be in danger. Once predators start killing they don't stop until the food supply is gone.

4. lovin my birds

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    Thanks....

I have a bad feeling it is the new puppy my dad brought home. She has already killed one of the new kitten. By accident of course, she wants to play and doesnt realize she is hurting them. UGH! I am going to have to train this one to stay away from the animals to. Not even my dog but i have to train it. Grrr! Just got done training my dog 3 months ago. [​IMG]

5. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Sorry for your loss. Kasey was a very cute. [​IMG]

6. fishman65

fishman65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    flat rock
    Sorry for your loss:hit [​IMG] but yea it does sound like a dog. And some times the dog just kills for sport but some times they eat the bird if they are hungry.

7. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    That new puppy may have been playing with the baby ducks same way it was playing with that kitten. The puppy didn't know any better. But does sound like it will need a lot of training so your animals will be safe. You may also want to bolster the pen you keep the baby ducks in.

i am so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

8. lovin my birds

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    Thank you all! [​IMG]

I have now reinforced there pen to were not even a mouse can squeez through. Lol! Though it doenst matter if a mouse gets in. I have read so many posts that peoples ducks kill mice. But i didnt believe it until i walked in on one of my anconas killing a mouse. Lol! Yay! No mice in the duck coop. Puppy has started training today. Ugh! I love this little dog but she is a pain to train. She dont listen worth a darn. My dog was so much easier to train. I taught her to stay and then about 10 minutes later i asked her to do it and nothing. She followed me and looked at me like i was an idiot. [​IMG] This is going to be fun! My rouen that also got attacked is doing great the hole in his side has mostly closed up and feathers ae already showing signs of coming back. Its amazing how fast they heal.

9. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Sorry for you loss but does sound like a dog, good luck with training I would not let your ducks out unless you are there to watch and make sure your pen is secure. Good luck with dog training

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by