1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ahhhh! Help meee

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lovinthechickens, Aug 28, 2008.

1. lovinthechickens

lovinthechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    northern SD county, CA
    Im so confused! Should i clip my 2 1/2 week old dominique's wings? They are flapping around and flying out of the cage when i open the door! help!

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I personally would NOT. Maybe approach the door more slowly...or before you open it, talk to them for a few minutes...let them settle down before opening it. Im thinking when you open the door,. they are spooked by it. I clipped my chickens wings ONCE...and will never do it again. Mine free range tho, and might need to get into a tree, away from a predator.

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Clipping wings won't keep them from popping out of a cage or pen door unless your opening from the top and it's a couple feet or more up. They can still hop and flap and get some air. Clipping is only useful to keep them from flying high enough to go over the sides of a larger outdoor pen. You either need to change your approach to handling them or a different design for their pen that they can't slip out of so easy.

4. lovinthechickens

lovinthechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    northern SD county, CA
    Thanks for the advice :]
    But, i do open it slowly and talk to them while i do. They can see me quite clearly from the other side!

[​IMG]

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

They do start calming down after a while...I would try to wait.

6. Sahara

Sahara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Keystone Heights, FL
    I don't clip the wings of any of my birds but that is my choice. I keep my young chicks in the same kind of cage and they are constantly flying out on me so I just use trial and error and try to be fast.

7. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    I don't clip - partly because I love to watch my girls fly, sit in the apple trees, etc. Partly because nothing is ever 100% predator proof and the smallest bit of steady flight might save them from someone's jaws.

Mostly because I just like em the way they are.

There are differeing opinions about this amongst us, for sure, and you should search for threads under clipping wings, clip, etc and see what turns up.

Plus, as someone just said, they may calm down quite a bit for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by