Ahhhh!!! I'm teaching myself to crochet. Will I ever get any better?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by lovemychix, Nov 23, 2008.

1. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    I got this great idea to teach myself to crochet. I've been using the video lessons on the internet. Someone told me it's easier than knitting which I really wanted to learn but I'll stick with the crochet for now. Anyway. I have got the stitches down but mine looks horrible and bunched up. Does it just come with time and practice? I guess I just need reassurance.

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I hope so :p

So far all I can do is the chain stitch. It is hard for me to learn from videos because I am a lefty

3. andehens

andehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Scenic Sierra Nevadas
    Yes, it will get beutiful and easier! But.... you wanted to learn how to knit, might be why the crochet is coming hard to you! I do both, and neither is harder than the other, crochet I think is a little more versatile for some projects! But knitting is easy too! Good for you for teaching your self!!! Thats the hard way! W-mart has some good teach yourself knitting or crochet books in their yarn section.

4. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    You will do fine, just loosen up holding your yarn. You are pulling to tight. I love to crochet. It goes so much faster then knitting and I don't get so bored as easy. Keep up with it. [​IMG]

5. lovemychix

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Quote:It's still hard to hold the yarn right for me. I'll try to loosen up. Thanks.

6. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

You'll get better with time. My first afghan was horribly mis-shapen, LOL.

The top was really narrow, the edges were awfully uneven, and the bottom was almost twice as wide as the top. [​IMG]

You'll find a happy place for your yarn hand. It took me a long time to find a comfortable grip that worked for me.

Don't know if it'll help, but here's how I hold mine:
    Through the middle finger and ring finger:
    [​IMG]
    Around the back of my hand, index finger up so the yarn doesn't slip off:
    [​IMG]
    Side view, so you can see how I hold the project:
    [​IMG]

This is just what works for me. The yarn stays snug, but pulls through easily enough to get a good stitch tension.

I wish I could find a pic of that first afghan to show you, and put it up beside what I can do now. It would make you feel much better.

Don't give up!!
    Em

7. PassthePeace1

PassthePeace1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes it will get easier, and feel more natural. What type of project are you working on, some are easier for beginners than others?

8. PassthePeace1

9. PassthePeace1

Quote:Sounds like my first one too. It started out square, but ended up looking like a trapazoid....lol.

10. lovemychix

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    I'm still trying to get a dishcloth. [​IMG] I am going to keep at it and love all the pointers and help on here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by