Ahhhh!!! I'm teaching myself to crochet. Will I ever get any better?

lovemychix

Songster
11 Years
Oct 14, 2008
Moulton Iowa
I got this great idea to teach myself to crochet. I've been using the video lessons on the internet. Someone told me it's easier than knitting which I really wanted to learn but I'll stick with the crochet for now. Anyway. I have got the stitches down but mine looks horrible and bunched up. Does it just come with time and practice? I guess I just need reassurance.

Yes, it will get beutiful and easier! But.... you wanted to learn how to knit, might be why the crochet is coming hard to you! I do both, and neither is harder than the other, crochet I think is a little more versatile for some projects! But knitting is easy too! Good for you for teaching your self!!! Thats the hard way! W-mart has some good teach yourself knitting or crochet books in their yarn section.

You will do fine, just loosen up holding your yarn. You are pulling to tight. I love to crochet. It goes so much faster then knitting and I don't get so bored as easy. Keep up with it.
thumbsup.gif

You'll get better with time. My first afghan was horribly mis-shapen, LOL.

The top was really narrow, the edges were awfully uneven, and the bottom was almost twice as wide as the top.
lol.png

You'll find a happy place for your yarn hand. It took me a long time to find a comfortable grip that worked for me.

Don't know if it'll help, but here's how I hold mine:
Through the middle finger and ring finger:
5981_1123082119.jpg

Around the back of my hand, index finger up so the yarn doesn't slip off:
5981_1123082120.jpg

Side view, so you can see how I hold the project:
5981_1123082122.jpg

This is just what works for me. The yarn stays snug, but pulls through easily enough to get a good stitch tension.

I wish I could find a pic of that first afghan to show you, and put it up beside what I can do now. It would make you feel much better.

Don't give up!!
Em

Back
Top Bottom