ahhhh the sound of baby peachicks

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by peachick, May 29, 2010.

1. peachick

peachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2007
    Maryland 21787
    nothing sweeter than their little sounds. Its a cooing sound that none of my other birds make.... so sweet!
    My first hatch of 2010 was yesterday! 1 cameo and 3 IB's
    about 1-2 dozen more due on Monday.
    Im so happy [​IMG]

2. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Awww... [​IMG] I don't know what they sound like, can you send them to me so that I can hear it? [​IMG]

3. SPRING CREEK FARM

SPRING CREEK FARM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Vanleer,TN
    [​IMG] Congratulations on your little peachicks! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] And you are sooo right-they make the most precious little cooing sounds, I just love them! [​IMG] I have a black Silkie hen that hatched out 2 white peachicks that are a little over a week old now. I have 2 more white Silkie hens that are each setting on 2 more peafowl eggs apiece; one of them are due to hatch tomorrow, the other another week to 10 days from now. My pied peahen is currently setting on 7 more eggs, so I hope to be overrun with little precious cooing peachicks soon! [​IMG]

4. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:Congratulations!!
    Just LOVE baby peas. I have my first 2 due this week.

I had the great pleasure and privilege of meeting Kev yesterday. He showed me around his gorgeous birds. His java pied (I think) was breathtakingly gorgeous. Also got to see his other cool breeding projects. Managed to buy ALL the peahen eggs he had available [​IMG] .
    I have never hatched out opal or javas so fingers crossed.
    THANK YOU KEV!

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Congratulations!!
    Just LOVE baby peas. I have my first 2 due this week.

I had the great pleasure and privilege of meeting Kev yesterday. He showed me around his gorgeous birds. His java pied (I think) was breathtakingly gorgeous. Also got to see his other cool breeding projects. Managed to buy ALL the peahen eggs he had available [​IMG] .
    I have never hatched out opal or javas so fingers crossed.
    THANK YOU KEV!

Yes they look good in pics he posted. That would have been a spalding pied. There are no Java except green(no other color or patterns)

6. tony garza

tony garza Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2010
    Cross Plains, Tx
    I had my first pea chick hatch last week but I haven't heard any sounds from it. It may be because the only other thing that hatched that day was a duckling so they are together. LOL. Maybe I'll get a quacking pea !!!

Tony

7. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    First baby (of many I hope) just hatched [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] .
    Looks like a female IB. Hopefully the other due egg will hatch as well, or we will be carrying her around for a week until the next due set hatch.

8. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    I just had my first babies hatch today! They're BS and I'm letting Mom raise them. They're really cute but the mom is being vicious with me and I can't get pics quite yet. DO they get chick starter like baby chicks or just the high protein that the adults get?

9. peachick

peachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2007
    Maryland 21787
    generally if you let mama peahen raise them they will start to dissapear. They are not as good as chickens when it comes to raising babies.

They will need crumbled game bird food

10. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    Well this peahen is from a feral flock that was captured by a trapper and she had 2 youngsters with her, so I she's done the mother thing before, and I have them in a pen inside a fenced in backyard, but if one does disappear I wont be devastated. Is there a chance the father, who is just old enough to breed this year, might mess with them, he is showing a lot of interest right now, he hates baby chickens but has anyone had experience with male aggression towards babies?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by