Ahhhh! Why wont it regulate!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dfchaser, Apr 1, 2009.

1. dfchaser

dfchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    NC
    I am on day 17 with 3 batches of eggs in the bator. I have been fine with temp and humidity up until this past weekend. Everytime i go to check the temp it is either too high or low! I cannot seem to get it rebalanced. I am opening once every 2 days to replace water (going to add a tube for next time) I have only candled twice! Any ideas on why this is happening?

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    What kind of bator is it and what kind of temp diffrence are we talking about ?
    some people say that the temp can go up close to hatch as the babies produce some of there own heat n0w, not shure if that accurate thats jsut what I have heard, then if you have a little giant just adjusting it down can be week long event if you dont do it one tiny little smidge

3. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Is there a big temp. change in the room its in or drafts? Mine was like that so I ended up putting it in a closet so it would stay about the same temp.

4. dfchaser

Apr 25, 2008
    NC
    Its an LG forced air with turner. This week i have recorded my lowest at 93 and my high at 106 [​IMG] I have it in a corner of my basement. Temp down there stays pretty constant.

I think i might just be so nervous, first hatch of the season and all.

5. Smokin Silkies

Smokin Silkies formerly browneyebuttafly

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    I have an LG still air with auto turner and mine seems to stay between 99-101, but I did notice before I put eggs in that the temp dial is very very touchy. I barely moved it to change the temp. After you change it, you have to wait 2 hrs to see accurate temp. I have problems with my humidity staying right. It bounces anywhere from 28-42 %. I can't seem to get it right. All of my water wells at the bottom have water in them. When its starts to go at 30% or below I have to add a wet cloth. Then it JUMPS to 40% really quick. Then I have to remove the cloth so it dont get too high. I also use a humidifier in my room because thats the only way I can keep the humidity up high enough. Thank goodness Im here most of the time to constantly check on it

6. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Try adding a heat sink to get the temp stable. Just add 100*F water to an old jar and pop it in the incubator. I'm pretty sure that will work?

~Rio

7. dfchaser

Apr 25, 2008
    NC
    Temp seems good (not sure what happened but it fixed?) No im my homemade hatcher I have my temp good but my humidity is LOW (30's) I have as large a tray of water as possible, lots of sponges. Any more ideas? I tried turning the fan off and that did not help.

Thank goodness I am prepping this early!

8. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Does the fan blow across the heat source first and then the sponges? That should get more humidity in the air. You could also try running a humidifier in the room.

9. needtohatch

needtohatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Hart Co
    Quote:Hubby wont let me spend any more $ so instead of buying tubing I put 2 drinking straws together and put that through a vent hole to add water with my LG. I use one of the kids med droppers to get water in straws.
    Glad temp regulated. [​IMG]

10. dfchaser

Apr 25, 2008
    NC
    Does the fan blow across the heat source first and then the sponges? That should get more humidity in the air. You could also try running a humidifier in the room.

Yes, which is why i am so puzzled!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by