1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

AHHHH!you have got to be kidding me!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Alicia G, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    So I have had this beautiful family of fox around my house, and they have been teaching the little ones how to hunt, on my birds of course. So after I lost 8 turkeys, 4 hens and numerous ducks I finally was able to finish the fence. Well come home from the movies and one of my hens is gone, no sign of her to be found. And the fella who we buy our beef from stops by to drop off our order for a side of beef, and he says "I thought you'd like to know I heard an owl in your yard."
    AHHHHH!!!! You can't be serious! I can't get a break can I? [​IMG]

2. chicken crazed 1o1

chicken crazed 1o1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Dugald , Manitoba
    If you want a Rest put most of your Chickens and Ducks and Turkeys in there coop for a couple of days so that the owel and the foxes will think there nothing to hunt . ( not a good Speller )

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I am so sorry for your losses. [​IMG] I hope you get rid of all the predators soon!

4. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

owl = cover your run with cheap bird/deer netting.

5. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    Quote:This USED to work for me until this year. The result? An even hungrier and more aggressive predator.

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:This USED to work for me until this year. The result? An even hungrier and more aggressive predator.

most preds have a circuit or route anyways until one of the neighbors deals with the problem they will just keep trying to eat your birds or your neighbors until they defeat the fences etc I have owls and hawks and ospreys and they do not bother my birds mine are mostly under leantos the BOP are too large to be able to get under the leantos

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by