AHHHHH, one dead!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by poupoule, Dec 18, 2008.

1. poupoule

poupoule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    [​IMG] I discovered a dead chick this morning in the brooder. It was my littlest one. When I picked it up, its neck was all floppy. It was ok yesterday, and look like it got squashed by the biggest ones. Is this possible?[​IMG]
    I have a aged chicks mix: the biggest one, Leghorn or Sussex I don't know, the medium size ones, Rhode Island and the smallest ones, Australorp. Should I separate them into 2 brooders?
    [​IMG] Please I need help. Thank you

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    awwww, so sorry about your loss [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

How old was the chick ??

Some chicks just fail to thrive and dont make it, its part of the mean chicken world. This happens also to keep flocks strong and healthy !!

To answer you question about the chick getting squashed, Yes this could of happend !! Do you see them all hudding in the corners of the box ?? Whats the temp in the brooder ?

3. poupoule

poupoule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    I don't know the age of the chick. Yes they huddle at some time in the corner of the brooder, under the light. But it is summer here in Australia and the temperarure under the light shows over 90 degree!

4. Unfortunately this does happen. I have a nursery full of 5 week plus chicks and I have found three dead in about a 3 week period. They get cold, the get trampled, they get dehydrated, they get a genetic problem, etc. . It really is just part of the mean old chickie raising thing. Usually it is your favorite one, which just blows. I mean why can't the black roosters that you have no need for not make it to the adult hood, no problem. I even threw a black roo that was only about 6 weeks old into the barn becuase he was beating the crud out of all the rest of his nursery mates. He I doing just fine and the temperatures have been in the low 20's here at night. He just does the baby chicken thing and finds a nice warm hen to get under, what a turd. He is thriving, eating, drinking and running about in the day.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Did you notice anything wrong with it... look all of the other chicks over carefully.... they could have an infection.

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    How big is the brooder and how many chicks are in it ?

7. Skip

Skip Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so sorry about your dead chick! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by