Ahhhhh quail eggs upside down?!?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by amaurer, Apr 17, 2011.

1. amaurer

amaurer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    I just candled my 8-day quail eggs to see how they're doing - the blue scale eggs are nice and pale and are easy to candle (I didn't even bother trying with the valleys).

The air sack is on the pointy end!!!!????

I have them on their sides in the incubator, but with the pointed end mostly downward, no idea how this happened. Sack overall might be a bit large as well, I'm having a VERY hard time keeping humidity over 45%.

Is it ok? FWIW eggs looked good otherwise - nice and veiny with a good dark spot forming. I swear to god that one was doing cartwheels in there!

Thoughts?

2. amaurer

Apr 17, 2011
    I should add - I candled three eggs and ALL had the sack at the wrong side. [​IMG] All 27 of my eggs were shipped from Texas.

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Likely A Ruptured Membrane From Rough Shipping

4. amaurer

Apr 17, 2011
    Sooo I candled all 27 of my eggs... either they're ALL ruptured and inverted, or I don't know what I'm seeing. [​IMG] I'm thinking its the latter.

It looks like what I thought was the air cell is really just the lighter part of the egg. Here is a pic.

[​IMG]

5. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Cant See Very Well In The Pic... Can You Candle From The Side? That Will Reveal Your Air Cell Much Better If It Is In The Correct Spot

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I agree, you don't know what you're seeing. I always candle eggs from the top (big end), when you shine the light through the air cell it illuminates the egg. It looks like your eggs haven't been set very long and the lighter part (bottom) is just where the egg isn't 'filled up' yet. Honestly I can't see an air cell at all at that angle.

7. Little_Bigfoot

Little_Bigfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    Washington
    often times when the eggs sit to long before going into the incubator without being turned regularly the yolk can settle and stick to the wall of the egg thats prob. what happened.

8. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    I Wouldnt Say That... The Egg Looks To Be Developing On Schedule... Just Cant See The Air Cell, But I Suspect That Due To Illumination Angle... As Shelley Sugests Illuminate From The Top, Or The Side To See It Better. By This Stage Of Development There's Enought Tissue Formed In The Egg To Prevent Light From Making It All The Way Up There To The Top Of The Egg And Illuminating The Air Cell

9. Little_Bigfoot

Little_Bigfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    Washington
    good theory but in my opinion it is actually due to the yolk thickening, i have had this happen to me before, all that looked like this were duds crack one open i bet its just sour yolk if i am wrong your out one bird if im right you save yourself a whole lot of head ache.

10. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    If They Were Duds They Wouldnt Be Veining....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by