AHHHHHH! Silkie is a little terror! What should I do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Apomerantz, May 28, 2010.

1. Apomerantz

Apomerantz Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Washington
    We have silkies and quail hatching in the same incubator, but the quail eggs and chicks are in a plastic divider. Problem is one of my silkie jumped in there and is cruising around bulldozing all the quail chicks and tiny quail eggs. I wasn't going to open the incubator for another 3 1/2 hours (24 hours after the 1st hatched), but should I quickly go ahead and pull out all the chicks now? Some of the quail are trying to hatch and I am afraid the silkie is going to hurt them...

Amy

2. greenfingers

greenfingers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Wasilla, Alaska
    If you haven't done it already, DO IT NOW! Contrary to popular belief, lockdown is NOT sacred, and you can quickly reach in and take chicks out. It will not affect your temp or humidity that much, and if anything is hatching it causes the humidity to rise VERY quickly anyway. Good luck!

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Use a spray bottle set to a fine mist and give the inside a quick spritz after you've finished with what you've got to do. You don't need to soak everything. Just a quick, fine spray then close it back up.

4. Apomerantz

Apomerantz Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Washington
    Thanks! I pulled them out! Some of the quail were hatching and I didn't want the silkie to hurt them. I did leave a few wet chicks in...

Amy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by