Ahhhhhhh! I'm Confused!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by equinehugger3, Aug 23, 2010.

1. equinehugger3

equinehugger3 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2010
    How old are chickens when they start laying? I have three four month old chickens, and one I am almost positive is a hen. We had the three of them out, and when we got the others in the coop, usually this one will just run in, because she's really hard to catch. So, we were approaching her, to herd her into the coop, and she ran under our lilac bush. She was just barely under, so that we could grab her. Then she started to scratch. Like, REALLY scratching. She was practicly digging a hole in the ground. Then we kinda backed up and watched her. Now she's kind of turning and trying to get comfortable, and she seems really uncomfortable. She could just be trying to cool off, but it's not that hot out, only like 78 or 79 degrees {fahrenheit} Could she be trying to lay an egg? Or is she sick? Or just hot? Sorry, this is my first time with chickens, but I'm a little worried bacause I'm not really sure what's happening!

THANKS!!!!! [​IMG]

2. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens love to dig down in the dirt, and when it's hot out, they especially like cool damp dirt. They will scratch in it - mine scratch pretty deep hen-shaped holes in the run - and rustle their feathers in it, and turn over and snuggle down again, seem very happy. They don't lay in those holes. I sure wouldn't worry about that - normal chicken behavior. Hens start laying at around 5 to 6 months, some earlier (not by much) and some much later, depending on the breed, individual traits, and other factors (diet, etc). So it's possible that she is looking for a nesting place, and feeling the urge. She's pretty young, but could be. Do you have a nest for her?

3. equinehugger3

Apr 14, 2010
    I do have a nest for her, but she never really goes up there. Should I put some golf balls up there in a couple weeks? Because actually, they're closer to 5 months. I just don't know what to do! LOL, sorry. Should I move her, or...? If she is hot, what can I do to cool her off?

Sorry, I'm full of questions [​IMG] [​IMG]

Oh, yeah, I should probably say...

I'm not sure what breed she is, because we got a mixed variety of eggs. She is on chick starter STILL (I hope that's not bad for her!), but we are putting them on layer ration starting today, because someone told me that they could eat anything that an adult could eat at 4 months. She's pretty wild, and she loves to run, and this is weird for her because her two buds are in the coop, and the coop is like 5 yards away. Usually they have to be snuggled up next to each other at all times. She is a pretty tame chicken though, we hold and pet them a lot.

Hope I'm making sense! [​IMG]

4. equinehugger3

Apr 14, 2010
    Ooops!!!! Never Mind! Ahh, I'm so stupid! [​IMG] [​IMG] She just got up! Well, I know better now. :-/ Thanks though!

5. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes... add some "nest eggs" (plastic, plaster, composite, golf balls) to your prepared nests! And show the girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by