AHHHHHHHHH SHHHHHHHHHHHe flew the coop!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TnTom, Oct 23, 2010.

1. TnTom

TnTom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    Woodbury Tn
    I new to this so bear with me. We have a had chickens now (3) for about 3 months. They range all day and head into the coop at dark and I let them out of the run to range about 7:30 am. they are laying and all seems well. O.K. yesterday I visited a friend and brought home what looked like my little buff girls twin sister. Now she came from the same coop maybe the same brood (theres a possibility) but had never seen outside the barn. My chickens are Cochin bantyies one rooster 2 hens and I brought home a 3rd hen. My friend said leave her in the cardboard box until dark and then put her in the coop and hour or so after mine had gone to roost. When they come out in the morning they will all be as one. Maybe........
    It never got that far. I opened the box with out closing the door and she flew (it was still daylight out). I saw when she landed and went to get my net. When I got back she was no where to be seen. My rooster, he was with his girls over by the garden ran over to where she , the new girl, had lited but had returned to her girls by the time i got the net.

This morning my wife spotted her up in the woods so we thought we could net her. Not .....I missed and she fly into the woods about 100yd away into deep cover. My question is will she eventually come to the rooster??? and join in or is that unlikely.

Im all tore up. [​IMG]

2. S*T*A*R

S*T*A*R Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    Well..... If she wasn't used to being at your place, then chances are she'll only come back for food and water. Sorry!

3. TnTom

TnTom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    Woodbury Tn
    S*T*A*R :

Well..... If she wasn't used to being at your place, then chances are she'll only come back for food and water. Sorry!

That's what I'm thinking. We'll watch for her and maybe she'll find her way. If I had brought my fishin net I know I could have caught her this morning she was ripe for catching I brought a net that wasnt good for the conditions. Coulda shouda woulda.​

4. S*T*A*R

S*T*A*R Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    Quote:That's what I'm thinking. We'll watch for her and maybe she'll find her way. If I had brought my fishin net I know I could have caught her this morning she was ripe for catching I brought a net that wasnt good for the conditions. Coulda shouda woulda.

Well keep the faith and she might come back!

5. TnTom

TnTom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    Woodbury Tn
    Just before sunset or right at sunset as usual my three went to the coop and hit the sack. About 5 minutes after and it was a few minutes for dark dark where you could still see a little we heard her clucking up and about 100 feet from the coop and hollered till it was totally dark. The rooster didn't come out for her but I could see her hiking back and forth and sort of wanting to head toward the coop but that would be crossing the yard. Then it was dark and she went quiet but I dont think she went up off the ground, I think she hunkered down. When my 3 come out in the morning and Butch starts crowing I think she'll come out if she's left alone maybe.

I couldn't see exactly where she hunkered down but Im wondering if she would let me pick her up if it were dark and I could approach her slowly or even drop my net over her if I could see her? I know Ive lifted one of mine off a roost in the dark?

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Yas do that if you can see her-Thats how I get my girls when they nestle down outside the coop-its actually very easy to grab them

7. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    She might be scared of the net. We tried catching a few of ours with a net and they went nuts. Took them a few days to trust us again. Just a thought.

8. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    I couldn't see exactly where she hunkered down but Im wondering if she would let me pick her up if it were dark and I could approach her slowly or even drop my net over her if I could see her? I know Ive lifted one of mine off a roost in the dark?

You won't need a net if it's dark, just take a flashlite with you to find her and you'll be able to just pick her up. Good luck!​

9. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    If she was a newbie to your place, I think it would have been correct to quarantine her in a pen on your property but away from the other chicks, so she could get used to your place. I would recommend seeing if you can spy on her/ follow her fairly far away and with binoculars to see where she roosts at night, then you could possibly slowly walk up to her while she's roosting and grab a leg or something... She may be up in a tree or bush...

10. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    right before dusk go find her and then dont take your eye off her. grab her at dark if she to high see if you can knock her off the limb and then pick her up and love her.
    laura

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by