AHHHHHHHHHHHH

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chickennazi, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Chickennazi

Chickennazi New Egg

Dec 4, 2012
    I've got to build the coop on my own. My dad says to use wood and that its the best material for the chicken coop. Is there any other materials that would be better to build the coop?

2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Linoleum for the floor. There's also this plastic sheet stuff that you can use too. Makes it much easier to clean. Otherwise wood probably is best for sturdiness. We used these prefab sheets at are some kind of composite but plywood probably would have been better in hind site.

3. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I used a product call Smartside for the siding of my coop. Lowes carries it. It has something like a 40yr guarantee on it. The cost was waaaay better than the cost of T-111, or plywood. I didn't even consider waferboard, it looks crappy unless you cover it up with some other kind of siding, like vinyl. My coop is going on 3yrs old, and the Smartside siding looks as good as the day I installed it. NO delamination or warping. It has been through extremes in temp and everything from rain and snow to tropical strength winds. It comes with a couple of different looks to choose from. The stuff I got looks like old barn siding.
    Jack

4. Jakoda

Jakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    Jack do you have a link for the smartside? I looked for it on the lowes site but it wouldn't come up for me.

Will be rebuilding my dutch barn/coop this spring (hurricane wrecked it) was going to go with T1-11 but if this stuff is cheaper, I'm game for it:)
    Thanks
    Diane

5. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I'm sorry, I got this at HomeDepot. I get stuff from both places, and sometimes it all runs together. The price went up a little since I bought it, but what hasn't gone up. Here's a link:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...gId=-1&keyword=smartside+siding&storeId=10051

Jack

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by