AI on silkies advise needed.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AHappychick, Dec 2, 2009.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    OK so my PI and One of my lav roos are not doing the deed correctly. I have trimmed butts and tried to be patient but I think the time has come for AI. I already have my pipettes and watched the video on you-tube so I think I can do it.

my question is how often can I do it, each flock consists of 3 pullets should I do one each day or can I do all 3 today with a 1/2 hour or so between collecting from the roo?

How often can I collect the roo with hopes of having the most potent sperm? I dont want to do this unnecessarily so if once a day is best I would rather do that but if I can safely get all of them out of the way while ds is in preschool today that would be ideal.

Is there anything else I should know, any tricks or helpful advise?

Thanks

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Well start by examing your sample from the roo, if it is clear don't waste time AIing the hens at this point. Your sample needs to be white and cloudy, so AI several times a day until it looks good. I would start by extracting a sample 3 x's a day to get the roo used to the process, Once your samples are good start AIing the hens 3x a day then after a week go to once a day, that should do you for awhile. I have found that if you put the roo in a place where he can be caught milked and released quickly is always best, I mean catch him fast swing him into position get his sample, that is how they cover hens fast and forceful, it helps the process in their minds. I hope this helps.

AL

3. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    thanks I just tried both the roos and no dice [​IMG] I don't know maybe I did it wrong [​IMG] I will try again but in my frustration I decided that all butts cockerels and hens included were way too fuzzy so I gave them all a very embarrassing trim. now there is no way to miss the mark if they actually can manage to mate correctly. I might give it a week to see if that helped before going through that again. in addition they all need baths as their feet are dirty [​IMG]

I tried to be sort of forceful and quick about it like you said, figuring that that's the way they are. They are also much shorter than the roos on the video I watched so it is hard to hold them upside down and still rub their backs.

I really hope that they figure it out soon on their own. They are my best roos and I really would like to start hatching from those groups.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by