Ailing or old age?

LoCoHens

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 7, 2018
Northern Virginia
Hi. I have a 5.5-year-old Welsummer hen who is not eating well and has a hoarse squawk. I started noticing a couple weeks ago that her crop has been empty at night. I've been watching her and her energy level seems normal other than she is the first to go in to roost at night (but not by long). Also, she has no signs of a respiratory issue (no discharge, wheezing, gasping, neck stretching, etc.) and her abdomen is not swollen. I also looked in her mouth and didn’t see any issues like cankers.

About a week ago I treated the flock with topical Ivermectin because a new hen we got had mites. When I weighed for dosing, she was 4.25 lbs and my other two Welsummer hens that are the same age were about 5.25.

We’ve had temps in the 20s overnight so I’ve been bringing her in at night. It’s a large crate that allows her to move around, but she is not happy about being confined. She flew out one evening when I had the top off and was exploring our utility room. She will eat treats fairly well (corn, sunflower seeds, scrambled egg), but doesn’t seem too interested in her pellet/crumble feed mix or the Calf-Manna mash I’ve been trying to entice her to eat. I have been giving her some Nutri-Drench each night. Two nights now she did not poop overnight. When she did finally poop in the morning, it was very normal – well formed, on the large side, some cecal smell. This morning she did another poop an hour later that was also normal.

Other than her lack of eating/pooping and lower weight, she seems okay. I’m open to taking her to the vet and have taken chickens when I think something is treatable. But, I don’t think they’re going to find something obviously treatable. I’m suspecting old age, I just wasn’t expecting this yet for her breed.

Could this just be aging? Any suggestions for other things to look for or try? Thank you.

I have 9 and 8 year old chickens, last year both of them still laid eggs , they are doing fine :) another chicken from 2013 was having problems breathing ( heart problems?) I did not wait for her to choke, but ended it when she started showing she didn’t feel well. 5 is not really old for a chicken..

Thanks for the input. I appreciate hearing from experienced ones. I feel like she's not that old either. She's pushing 6 though and she came from a hatchery. Maybe her genetics are not as good as the others her age...like humans, differences in biological age compared to chronological age. We have a Brahma that is almost 8 and seems to be the picture of health.

I have 9 and 8 year old chickens, last year both of them still laid eggs , they are doing fine :) another chicken from 2013 was having problems breathing ( heart problems?) I did not wait for her to choke, but ended it when she started showing she didn’t feel well. 5 is not really old for a chicken..
Wow god bless your chooks ..do they can live a longer life like 10-12 year

If the hens get mean, I sell them (2) when they are new to a flock, they start way down the line, so usually, they have to get nicer, or get a drubbing from the other chickens
I do see the older hens going into the coop earlier and leaving it later than the young chickens, and they walk a little bit stiffer, but nothing more, some lost the chief hen position due to their age, but they don’t get mobbed, either

If the hens get mean, I sell them (2) when they are new to a flock, they start way down the line, so usually, they have to get nicer, or get a drubbing from the other chickens
I do see the older hens going into the coop earlier and leaving it later than the young chickens, and they walk a little bit stiffer, but nothing more, some lost the chief hen position due to their age, but they don’t get mobbed, either
Yup, she fed my dog(to tough for my taste)

Back
Top Bottom