Aina has cancer-update post 18

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by AinaWGSD, Dec 1, 2011.

1. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    My sweet old girl won't be with us much longer [​IMG] Last week when we went to my mom's house for Thanksgiving, she was almost unable to get up and didn't want to eat until we broke out the fried chicken. Thursday, she was back to herself so I decided not to rush her to the vet on Black Friday after all but rather wait until I could take her with me on Monday (I work there). I figured she was probably fine, but she had seemed a bit pot-bellied to me for a few weeks and she was breathing a little more rapidly as of late. She needed a CBC, heartworm test, and blood chemistries to make sure she was ok to take her pain meds anyway (she has hip dysplasia, bad arthritis in the elbows, and spinal arthritis too) and her doctor wanted to do an x-ray to check for spondylosis of the spine and rule out bladder stones since she's been leaking urine for the past month or two (which I figured was just from her spinal arthritis impinging on the nerves back there). Her chems were fine, but her CBC showed that she was anemic and the area of the spleen was hazy on the x-ray. So she went back in on Tuesday for an abdominal ultrasound. The ultrasound showed a mass in her spleen and free fluid in the abdomen. There's no way of knowing for sure without doing a biopsy, but given that she is a 12-13 year old german shepherd the most likely diagnosis is a hemangiosarcoma and with fluid in the abdomen it has probably spread already. Without surgery, she has 1-3 months. With surgery alone, she has 1-3 months. With surgery and chemo we might be able to extend that to 6-12 months but it could seriously decrease the quality of those months (and there's no way we can afford it even if we wanted to). I think I'm still in denial (I remember when the vet was talking to me that I was focusing on her purple turtleneck more than I should have been) and it has just started to really sink in. Thankfully, Aina is still very happy and feels great. So we're left to spoil her rotten (she actually has a doctor's note that says she can eat whatever she wants to eat [​IMG] ) for whatever time she has left. Suddenly all the little things she does that annoy me don't seem to bother me anymore...

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  2. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    [​IMG] I am so sorry. I don't really know what else to say, except this hits so close to home with me. I'd love to see some pictures of her. That might be something you can do in her memory before she is gone: go to a photographer and get some really good pictures of her to remember her by. [​IMG]

3. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    [​IMG]

4. BusyBlonde

BusyBlonde Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    So sorry to hear this! The advice my vet gave me when I had a seriously ill pet who had some time left - spoil them rotten, give them whatever they want as treats, and treasure every extra moment you have while they're not suffering. Forget all the 'normal' rules. Just love them as they love you.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    So sorry to hear. Take a lot of pictures. [​IMG]

6. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    I'm so sorry [​IMG] I'm afraid I might be heading down the same road. Every time I turn around I find a new tumor on my girl and it's always been Lipomas. I fear the day it will be more sinister...

I know what you mean about the little things. Before she started to get old they would upset me, but now I almost enjoy them because I know it's just her being her - and we never know how much longer we will get to enjoy them.

7. GhostRider65

GhostRider65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    I'm so sorry to hear this,
    1 suggestion though please take your doggy to a natural herbalist, doctor...... to see if there's anything that can be done, naturally
    My old dog Tiggy would be dead dead dead 3 times over had I not done so, 2 years ago she had a cancerous tumor on her elbow, it was removed and sent out for biopsy, nasty cancer vet said maybe 3 months, it was regrowing even before the stitches came out .. so I opted for a natural cure, and got it, she is 13 and has some arthritis, but still kicking after 2 years with no cancer............... no signs of re growth anywhere, that we can see anyway, no complete guarantee that it will never return, but we got 2 more years with her.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  8. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    [​IMG]

9. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    [​IMG]

10. gritsar