air bubble in crop????

karri25

Songster
12 Years
Feb 5, 2007
Arkansas
Ok, more frizzle drama. I was bathing half of my chickens today and dusting them as they are having an outbreak of mites or lice. I noticed, on the two new frizzles that my friend gave me, that they have impacted crops and that their is an air bubble ineach. I have never seen this before and it is kind of freaky. One is worse than the other in both impaction and air bubble. I have them inside now with only grit, oil, and water with acv in it. First of all should I also add vitamins to the water? Second of all waht should I do about the air bubbles? Has anyone ever seen this before? I think that I need to start a "my frizzle problems post" and just keep updating it as new problems occur. I ma bound and determined to nurse these birds back to health.

Also, sorry for so many questions, what does it mean when the skin under the keel bone is bright red? Both of these birds are WAY underweight. I don't see how someone could let them get this bad:-( Here's to hoping!

I don't think I'd worry about the red keel,it could be just irratation.I would be about the air bubbles though. I'd be worried about yeast infection in the crop. Keep doing th ACV and give them yogurt,it should help them with their digestion. Yeast infection will also stop the action in the crop.
Maybe someone else has a different idea. But I do know that what I recommend will help not hurt anything. If it yeast you can get Nystatin from the vet. I always used it on my baby cockatiels for crop yeast infections.

So nystatin will kill the yeast??? And I WILL BE SO HAPPY IF IT"S JUST A YEAST THING!!! That sounds so much more normal than some crazy air thing!
It's a wonder these birds are alive with the shape they are in.

Ok, I was thinking that you were talking about terramyacin. Can you buy nystatin at the feed store?

You have to get it from a vet. If it is yeast you don't want to give any antibotics as this will make it worse.

UUUGHHHH! Is there anything that would work that you don't have to get from a vet? And why do you have to go to a vet to get certain things if you know that's what your animal needs? that really frustrates me about doctors also. I don't have a phd but I know when my kids need something, ya know?

OF course I'll say it's best to go see an avian vet...so they can say what kind of crop problem you have for sure.....but not all of us can do that ...so here's what I would do.

My understanding is that water with ACV in it will kill the yeast also..... I think the ideal is a pH of 4.5 --or was it 5.4? (I need to write that one down!) Dianna knows the number and hopefully she'll respond. You can get easy pH strips at your garden store so you get it right. Otherwise I've read on parrot sites that between 2tsp and 1TBSP per quart should do it (all say something different--- I did 1 TBsp because my hen's problem was quite advanced)

Be careful feeding impacted crop birds any food as it just aids the yeast to flurish. I recommend using mineral oil as it helps rid the whole system (can give diarrhea-which in this case can be a good thing)... Olive oil can help also if you don't have mineral oil, but it's not as effective.

Make sure to keep the bird hydrated....hopefully they're still drinking on their own.

Once the crop has emptied, you can start to introduce plain yogurt with beneficial bacteria ---I recommend 1 tsp at a time throughout the day if possible. Then if that is working, cooked oatmeal with yogurt...and then start to add their regular feed into the oatmeal and yogurt.

Good luck
sandra

I've also read on the bird sites , that you can use 1 inch of yeast medicine for women per gallon of water. I've never used it because I was dealing with babies.

ACV is used to make the pH in the gut unfavorable for bacteria (such as e.coli and such which cause secondary infections) ... if you are giving any medications (such as antibiotics or such) then stop the ACV in the water as it will interfere with some of them. It is also useful in prevention of crop issues however I am not comfortable with the statement that it can actually treat per se a yeast infection...if your girl is so ill as to show visible symptoms and does not seem to be making any progress getting better with dietary and vitamin support measures then of course the best thing is to get her to a vet where they can test the crop and see if it is yeast or something else...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom