1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Air bump on my Charley..Have you ever seen that???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ClaireDL, Nov 10, 2015.

1. ClaireDL

ClaireDL Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2015
    Southern Pines NC
    This is a bump underneath the skin between the neck and the wing....Seems like air filled..Have no clue of what it is..[​IMG]
    What am I supposed to do with that??
    I don't fill any fluid in it at all.
    Could it come from this morning calcium EDTA subQ shot?
    Thank you

2. finickyfeather

finickyfeather New Egg

Apr 1, 2015
    I am hoping someone can help me. I have a hatch of new silkies 5 days old. Their poop looks weird. Is it natural to look like this?[​IMG][​IMG]

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Yes. It's an air sac, which may or may not be ruptured. It's part of the respiratory system of a chicken. It shouldn't be from the shot unless you went horribly awry with the injection. If it is indeed ruptured the whole area will puff up like a balloon. I wouldn't mess with it unless that happens. And if it does happen you will not be able to miss it. It's very obvious.

4. ClaireDL

Nov 7, 2015
    Southern Pines NC
    Thank you!...If I leave it alone, it will go away? Does that happen often?. If it comes to rupture, what should I do?

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    If it is ruptured then you will need to bleed off the extra air from under the skin. I HATE having to do that because I have never successfully saved a bird that had an air sac rupture. One survived for over about 4 months, but the other only made it a week. Air sac ruptures tend to be fatal because they take a long time to heal and you need to keep the bird so still in the meantime. AIr sac ruptures usually happen when a bird has had a really hard knock to their sacs- one of mine got it during shipping as a chick and one was attacked (badly) by a dog.

6. ClaireDL

Nov 7, 2015
    Southern Pines NC
    Thank you CMV !...for the info. I had never heard of that before.It seems that it resolved itself..

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Excellent. It was probably just more obvious than usual because the bird was a little stressed from the injection. They tend to breathe heavier when under stress and the sacs stand out more.

Good luck.

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  9. ClaireDL

Nov 7, 2015
    Southern Pines NC
    Wooa..that is a more serious condition than what I thought!...He's already on the mend for not being able to walk....That is certainly the way he ruptured his air sac...When he tries to walk he falls...I believe it's orthopedic related, or maybe lead poisoning..We are waiting for the result...Could be also mareks disease, but I'd be surprised as he doesn't show any other symptoms...He really seems to want to live..He eats like crazy and gets mad when we don't give him what he wants...but he's accumulating the issues, and I've been trying to rehab. him for 3 weeks now!...
    So hard...
    Thank you Kathy

Claire

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

You might want to get a kitchen scale and start weighing him every morning. Any loss or lack of gain might be a helpful diagnostic tool.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by