Air cell at the small end of the egg? *picture*

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by casslarrabee225, Feb 27, 2012.

1. casslarrabee225

casslarrabee225 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Mid-Coast, Maine
    My Coop
    I recently posted about a crack in an egg. I waxed it and the duck is still alive!! [​IMG]
    But then I noticed the air cell is at the SMALL end of the egg. What does this mean for the hatch? Will it make it? I also brought it in to my incubator out from under my broody Khaki so do I set it with the small end up with the air cell? Or big end up with no air cell? Anyone been through this before and have the duck hatch? [​IMG]

Here is a picture of the egg, It's almost hard to tell as both ends almost look the same...but when holding it the top side seems smaller. (Which is where the air cell is in this picture..at the top.)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Keep going with it. If it hatches, it hatches.

I'd put the air cell up. Well, actually, I hatch duck eggs on their sides, so neither end is up. But if you hatch in racks, I suggest that the air cell go up.

3. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    If it were me, I would mark the aircell line on the egg with a pencil. Then, mark it again at 21 days and 25 days to see if it dips properly; then watch for the shadows rising along back of aircell. Be ready to help it hatch, if needed. Best of luck!!

4. casslarrabee225

Apr 23, 2011
    Mid-Coast, Maine
    My Coop
    How will I know if the air cell is slanting properly? Obviously by marking it but what should I be looking for as a difference?

5. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    You should see a drop in air cell on one side....and on the back side of that, you will see shadows creeping into aircell. Pages 3 & 5 of Pete's Waterfowl Hatching Guide (in the ducks sticky section) has great pictures of marking aircell with pencil and the shadowing you will be looking for.

6. casslarrabee225

Apr 23, 2011
    Mid-Coast, Maine
    My Coop
    I can see the cell slanted a little. And it's a pretty good sized cell. I'm a little apprehensive to check on it frequently because of the crack. It looks about on track with the other eggs I have in the incubator. They still have about 2 weeks to go..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by