**Air Cell & Candeling Question** Still Can't See The Air Cell...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Happy Chicken Mama, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Happy Chicken Mama

Happy Chicken Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    Okey dokey...

Incubator... check.

Mille Cochin Eggs... check.

Candeler.... check.

Now my only question is... when there is no apparent 'BIG' end to the eggs how do you know what the air cell looks like on day one?????

I have candled... see what I think is a darkish spot on on end or the other... but not really sure. Should I fire up the incubator and re-candle in a few days??

Does anyone have any pictures for support or a good website? All of the ones I've seen i'ts really clear where the air cell is... not like my eggs.

help, please....

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  2. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Fresh eggs will have very small air cells. There will be a clear spot on one side that is usually lighter in color than the rest of the egg when candled. That's the air cell. Sometimes you have to put the light source on the side of the egg to find it. Keep looking, it's there somewhere and you'll find it!

3. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Air cells are really hard to see on fresh eggs. You would not be looking for a darkish spot or area, or the contrary. You will see the slightest light area or a void on one end of the eggs. It must be a Cochin thing. I have 14 in my incubator and I had a heck of a time deciding which end was which. My incubator does not require them to be set on their end but rather laid on the side so it is not a big deal for me.

If you shine you candler on one end and see a very slight lighter area than the other end that will be the beginning of the air cell. It grows as the egg looses moisture and it may be easier to detect at 5-7 days.

4. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Mind you, I'm no expert whatsoever, I've only incubated a few times, but I've seen this website posted several times & keep it for future reference. See if this might help: http://shilala.homestead.com/candling.html. Under where it says "Good Eggs", look at the left side of the egg - that's the air cell. I know this pic is blatantly obvious and yours might not be, but it'll give you an idea of what the air cell looks like anyway. Some of my RIRs were like yours, plus they were porous which made it hard to see in there clearly. Hope it helps at least a little. [​IMG]

5. Happy Chicken Mama

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    Thanks!

I haven't been able to see a lighter spot yet... just the darker one.

Hhhmmmm.... I will look again.

Will it hurt them to be wrong side up for a few days???

6. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Nope, they'll be fine for just a few days. I'm sure even under a broody hen the eggs don't get turned as much as humans hand turn them. What day are you on today?

7. Happy Chicken Mama

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    Day 0!

I just got them from the post man!!!

I figure I have 24 hours to figure it out while to new octogon 20 advance fires up!

Ps ... the link dosen't work...

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  8. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
  9. Happy Chicken Mama

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    Ahh...haaa...

Yeah. My cells don't look like that!

I wish they did!

Thanks!

10. Happy Chicken Mama

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    All Righty!

DAY 4

So, I candled today (going to be out of town tomorrow) and I still can't tell where the darn air cells are!

Except ONE! This one there was definate viening (& I could kinda' see an air cell)! Whoot!

But... I did have it upsidedown...

I fliped the sucker rightside up and back into the bator it went.

[​IMG] PLEASE reasure me that it's OK that the poor little thing has been upsidesown!

[​IMG] Also, that by flipping it that I wont have some wonky chick!

[​IMG] Also, that the others that I still can not tell will be ok till Friday when I get back!

Oh it was sooo soooo soooo sooo exciting to se veining![​IMG]

ps this is the only time I've candled... since putting them in the bator. Just don't want the little buggars to be upside down too long.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by