1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Air cell development question?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by comitdust, Feb 28, 2016.

1. comitdust

comitdust Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2015
    Georgia
    So if the air cell at day 12 isn't a big as it should be is it too late to decrease humidity?

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Nope, that 's exactly what you want to do. Lower the humidity give it 24-48 hours and check again.

3. comitdust

Jun 29, 2015
    Georgia
    Okay great because last week as I was adding water I accidentally poured to much it's now at 45 percent! Yikes but I'm tempted to get a turkey baster to get some water out.

4. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    The first 17 days (if I can't run completely dry) I just wet a spong and stick in there. It holds it right about 30% which is what I like. When it starts drying out I just grab it out and rewet it. It's so much easier than messing with water wells. I use my wells and extra sponges at lockdown/hatch though.

5. comitdust

Jun 29, 2015
    Georgia
    It's hard to put a sponge in there because my egg turner is completely full taking all the room up. So I figured if I move one egg and add just a bit of water to reach 30 I'm good but a shaking hand is no good when adding water. I knew I messed up when I did it. I was thinking using a baster but then got to thinking I would have to take all the eggs out and the tray to get the extra water out. So I opened the lid to let extra moisture out and I'll monitor the temp. Stupid me I've never done this before but I have copper marans in there so I really don't want to screw this up.

6. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I wouldn't worry too much. It'll come back down and if you need to you can run dry for a couple days to even it out. It's my understanding that those do better with less humidity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by