1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Air cell dilemna.....what do I do????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by donnap1967, Jun 15, 2008.

1. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    I have silkie eggs in my bator on Day 16 right now. They were shipped eggs that arrived in one piece but they must have had a rough ride because some of the air cells were knocked loose.

I just did a quick candle check and two have good air cells and they look to be about the right size for this stage. I have some questions that I really need help with to save the babies....

#1. One has an air cell that is stable at the top but it looks too small for Day 16. I don't want the chick to drown. Should I reduce my humidity for the next two days??

#2. Also I have one other that is developing beautifully except for the air cell that is running down the side of the egg instead of the top. Should I maybe stop turning this one earlier and set it on it's side to hatch with the air cell side up? (The rest are in an egg carton and I planned to hatch them this way). I was wondering if the chick starts to get into position around now, maybe laying it still on it's side would help??

Please help....I have seven eggs and only 4 seem to be growing and I really want these four eggs to hatch.[​IMG]

Edited to add: I am using a homemade styro forced air bator, temps between 98.7-99.8 and humidity between 43% - 49% .

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  2. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Is the one air cell that goes down the side also at the top at all?
    The reason that I ask is: I also had eggs with smaller aircells, larger air cells, and I had some that went down the side all crazy...they hatched fine. One egg I hatched that had three quarters of the egg was aircell, and I thought it was doomed. It hatched into my smallest silkie...perfectly healthy, and I didnt expect it to even hatch. [​IMG]

So, good luck, and try not to worry too much.

3. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    Yes the one that has the air cell down the side does have a little bit at the top, not much but a little.

Thank you for the encouragement Mom2 [​IMG] , I am so nervous and worried I won't get any babies.

I'll try to relax. The fact that yours did okay gives me some piece of mind that they may be okay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by