Air cell help, please!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by redhen, Feb 17, 2009.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i just candeled my 10 day old Welli eggs...the air cells are all wavy and uneven are already halfway down the egg!!....what can i do now? my temps have been good...and my humidity has been at 30-40%...[​IMG]..should i up the humidity? they are all growing...but if the air cells dont change they will never make it to hatch...there will be no room for the chick in the egg! what caused this??? please help!....[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    My white leghorn eggs were like that so were other eggs i had shipped in. I too thought they wouldnt have room i too thought they wouldnt hatch.

Well they did....on sunday.... 7 beauties! Only 2 eggs didnt pip (but even they were full grown)! [​IMG]

so its possible that they will be fine [​IMG]

3. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    have you calabrated your humidty guage? if so bring it up 5 to 10% and that should slow the growth of the air cell down some

4. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:but what caused it!1..what should my humidity be at??? i mean they are bad!!!...one was almost all the way down the side of the egg!...but a little baby was still alive in there!...[​IMG] should i kill it now..so it dosent suffer when it gets bigger in the shell???

5. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:okay thanks..so bring my humidity up then??? man i spent $130 on all these eggs combined....[​IMG] i hope a few make it!....[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:but what caused it!1..what should my humidity be at??? i mean they are bad!!!...one was almost all the way down the side of the egg!...but a little baby was still alive in there!...[​IMG] should i kill it now..so it dosent suffer when it gets bigger in the shell???

NOOO dont kill it! LOL! i had the same thing and they are all fine [​IMG]

hatched fluffy and cute...and annoying i might ad (pee peep peep)!!

Mine i am preetty sure was caused by shipping/cold temps in route to me. They were like that when i got them and only got worse as the chicks developed...but yep they are fine [​IMG]

7. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA

NOOO dont kill it! LOL! i had the same thing and they are all fine [​IMG]

Mine i am preetty sure was caused by shipping/cold temps in route to me. They were like that when i got them and only got worse as the chicks developed...but yep they are fine [​IMG]

okay..i will just...[​IMG] [​IMG] and wait it out...[​IMG].....

8. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:NOOO dont kill it! LOL! i had the same thing and they are all fine [​IMG]

okay..i will just...[​IMG] [​IMG] and wait it out...[​IMG].....

that's seriously what I did. I wasnt sure what to do and i didnt want to pitch them. And im so happy i didn't. The only thing that i noticed was some of the chicks pipped in the middle of the egg instead of more near the blunt part of the egg.....i assume because there was MORE air in that part....they hatched out fine and dandy [​IMG]. I say wait it out and you could be pleasantly suprised. [​IMG] I have more in the incy righ tnow with disturbed air cells from shipping...im letting them go...because my first experience i had positive results [​IMG]. i mean do what you want, but i'd say you got a good chance of having no problems [​IMG]

9. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:okay..i will just...[​IMG] [​IMG] and wait it out...[​IMG].....

that's seriously what I did. I wasnt sure what to do and i didnt want to pitch them. And im so happy i didn't. The only thing that i noticed was some of the chicks pipped in the middle of the egg instead of more near the blunt part of the egg.....i assume because there was MORE air in that part....they hatched out fine and dandy [​IMG]. I say wait it out and you could be pleasantly suprised. [​IMG] I have more in the incy righ tnow with disturbed air cells from shipping...im letting them go...because my first experience i had positive results [​IMG]. i mean do what you want, but i'd say you got a good chance of having no problems [​IMG]

thanks!....i's luvs yous Nikki!...[​IMG].....what humidity do you use then???....the hatch master needs help here...[​IMG]

10. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:that's seriously what I did. I wasnt sure what to do and i didnt want to pitch them. And im so happy i didn't. The only thing that i noticed was some of the chicks pipped in the middle of the egg instead of more near the blunt part of the egg.....i assume because there was MORE air in that part....they hatched out fine and dandy [​IMG]. I say wait it out and you could be pleasantly suprised. [​IMG] I have more in the incy righ tnow with disturbed air cells from shipping...im letting them go...because my first experience i had positive results [​IMG]. i mean do what you want, but i'd say you got a good chance of having no problems [​IMG]

thanks!....i's luvs yous Nikki!...[​IMG].....what humidity do you use then???....the hatch master needs help here...[​IMG]

well i have staggered hatches in my sears roebuck (old fart incy) lol!

the wet bulb reads 90 which I willnever understand....as 90 on my wet bulb reads like 62-65% on my digital hydrometer. Since I have staggered hatches when im hatching i keep it around 62-65...however when nothing is hatching, Ikeep it around 40-50 as much as I can [​IMG]. Which that reads something like 80 on the wet bulb.

oh and awh i luvs you tooosss hehehee [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by