1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Air Cell On Both Ends?? What to do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Happy Chicken Mama, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Happy Chicken Mama

Happy Chicken Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    Hello All!

I have one Mille Fleur Cochin Developing...

I candled last night and there are air cells on both ends. [​IMG]

This one was a doosey because I couldn't tell where the air cell was to begin with... no big end and also couldn't tell where the air cell was at all untill I candled at 5 days.

At 5 days I could tell there was an air cell but the baby had been upside down from where the air cell was starting to form. I guess the trip from California to Florida was a bit much!

So, day 5 I flipped the sap sucker around... now I am totally confused as what to do next.

My gut is to the the little eggy alone and let nature do the rest but candle again on day 18. I wish I had taken a picture... I would tonight but am concerened about candling too much.

Anyone have this happen or have any advise??

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  2. chicklady63

chicklady63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Can you maybe put this one egg on its side as though it were in a nest and see what happens? I've had those eggs where you couldn't tell up from down as well - very confusing - as this it what I usually do. I just lay it on its side in the incubator and hand turn that particular egg.
    Good luck, I would love some Mille cochins!

3. Happy Chicken Mama

Happy Chicken Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    I think that's a great idea!

Maybe if I slowly put it on its side then it will figure out which way it wants to be up!

Anybody else??

I really am curious... there dosen't seem to be any other posts about this. Hopefully, that this may help someone else down the road when they search for asnwers to this delema.

Thanks Chicken Lady!

4. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I also say try it on its side and cross youre fingers.

5. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    When air cells get weird I always hatch them flat. Whether that's on both ends, sideways or other weirdness, seems to help.

6. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Can someone explain this in a little more detail?

7. perrym1962

perrym1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Eastview, Ky..
    Quote:Lay it on its side when incubating..

8. Country Guy John

Country Guy John Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    Calling Miss Prissy, Calling Miss Prissy,

I am experiencing the same issue and would like to here your expertise regarding having an air sac on both ends of the egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by