Air cell on the side. Can anything be done?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sara1226, Jan 16, 2017.

1. sara1226

sara1226 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2015
    Northern Wisconsin
    Hi everyone, I have a developing chick with an air cell on the side instead of on top. No other egg is doing this. Incubator temp is 100 and humidity has stayed around 50%. I will include a picture. The baby is developing and bouncing around in there, but I know the air cell is a problem. Can anything be done to fix it?

[​IMG]
    S

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    What day is this? Your humidity is way too high unless you are in lockdown. Are you using a still or circulated air incubator? If it is a circulated air bator, you need to get the temp down to 99.5.

I don't think there is anything you can do for the air cell at this point. Were these shipped eggs? Are you hand turning or using an auto turner? Did they have time to rest properly before beginning incubation?

3. sara1226

Apr 15, 2015
    Northern Wisconsin
    I have an incubator with a fan and an auto turner. Everything I have read, including the manual, says humidity should be 45-55 %, I am on day 11.

I think I figured out what happened. This egg was shaped the same on both ends, there was no classic pointy end, and (yes I know this is stupid) I didn't candle to check air cells before I put them in the incubator. Forgive me, this is my first hatch and first time with shipped eggs. So when I put it in, I put it in upside down causing the air cell to go to the side. It is still alive right now, but I don't know if I should flip it over! I put it in a piece of egg carton because I read that eggs with air cell issues should remain still for awhile to try and right itself. Should I flip it or leave it? Gosh this is probably all my fault and I feel terrible.

4. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Yeah, but the manual is wrong. Just ask around; all the experts will tell you that is way too high. You want to keep the humidity around 28%-35% for the first 18 days, then for lockdown up it to 55%-75%. You also want to get the temp down to 99.5.

It's a learning experience. You didn't know; don't feel bad about it. I'd leave it at this point. If it was earlier in incubation, you might want to try to do something about it, but at this point you don't want the chick to get stuck to the side because of lack of turning. Sorry it turned out this way! Please let me know if it hatches!

5. AnneInTheBurbs

AnneInTheBurbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2013
    Bucks County, Pa
    Did the chick make it? I have a turkey egg on day 6 that's has an air cell on the side. Just wondering if there's anyone who has been successful.

6. sara1226

Apr 15, 2015
    Northern Wisconsin
    No, unfortunately it did not hatch, but my situation is not a good basis to determine if they usually hatch or not. There are so many factors when hatching.. temp, humidity, handling, etc. My batch of eggs had a delay in shipment and the eggs were exposed to -18 degree weather, and this was my first hatch ever so I had no clue what I was doing. I mean I did research, but I probably had been opening the incubator up too often to check them. Like I said.. many factors to consider. I actually had only ONE out of 12 of those expensive shipped eggs hatch! A little splash Americauna roo. He defied all odds, then was born dragging his shell... bleeding all over the incubator... and now he has a cross beak!!! Lord knows I didn't need more Roos, but considering what this little guy has surpassed to be here, he's not going anywhere. He's adorable and I love him.

Many eggs with messed up air cells DO hatch, don't be discouraged. It has many days left to right itself. Hopefully it will.

Best
    Of luck and have a good day!

7. AnneInTheBurbs

AnneInTheBurbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2013
    Bucks County, Pa

Thanks for the words of encouragement. These were eggs from turkey, so the lack of shipping and jostling should help. I'm going to try to stay home when I see hatch day arriving, so that I can assist if necessary. I know assistance isn't a good idea, but it might die anyways, I will give it a try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by