Air cell on the side of an egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by duckboatprincess, Sep 14, 2009.

1. duckboatprincess

duckboatprincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I've got a welsh harlequin egg that has the aircell on the side of it. I'm on day 3, so it's really just guessing for me at this point as to whether or not it is developing. Is there any hope on it hatching?

2. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    I received a shipment of eggs that had been damaged in shipping. 5 were broken & the rest all had aircells all over the place. Several made it to lockdown, 6 hatched. One of the salmon faverolles that hatched had a saddle-shaped air cell. A polish egg had an air cell on top & a small air cell on the bottom, as well.
    To answer your question simply...
    yes, there is hope. If it gets past day 10, the air cell shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  3. duckboatprincess

Apr 21, 2009
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Oh okay cool... I also have an EE egg with a larger aircell the than the rest of the eggs from that clutch. It's a normal rounded aircell, except for near the embryo where it goes up a bit and then comes back down to the rest of it (if that makes sense). It's odd shaped I guess. I don't know. It's at day 10 and there is movement. This egg was dropped in the bator but it didn't crack.

4. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    just keep it . i used to throw them away cuz alot of peopale said they wouldnt hatch . But for some reason i kept some after a while and most do hatch .

5. duckboatprincess

Apr 21, 2009
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Okay... I read somewhere that it was a humidity issue or something, but my humidity hasn't changed since I started and everyone else is doing good, so I didn't want to adjust anything. That's good to the know. Thank you for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by