Air cell on the side!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Haviris, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    Well my eggs are on day 4, I thought since some are white maybe I could see something inside, and I could! I didn't see anything out of the first few, but then I could see the eye (that's what it's called right?) on some of them, but it was at the very top, where the air cell should be! So I looked around and finally found the air cell on the side! They are not all like this, but some are. So what does this mean? Are they lost?

2. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    I have some incubating right now, day 13. One is like that and has a well formed chick in it.
    ????????? don't know!

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I have one like that, it's just a fluke and it's very possible the baby will develop and hatch so don't toss it! Mine was still alive when I moved it from the turner for hatching. [​IMG]

4. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    This can happen due to shipping or the way eggs are stored. For the most part they will still hatch without issue. Air cell climbs the side as the egg loses moisture.

5. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Thanks-Mine seems alive and well

6. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    I won't give up on them, hopefully they will still hatch for me! Thanks for the help, I hope everyones (including mine) hatch w/out a problem!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by