Air cell opposite of pip..Advice?

IvanK

Songster
Sep 25, 2017
Manitoba
Hi! Ok so the egg in question has its air cell on the side...not at all sure why but that's where it ended up. Its day 27 and the guinea chick inside has pipped on the opposite side of the shell. I do not know if it pipped all the way through and can breath because I can only see the shell cracked and a little elevated. I absolutely hate assisting hatching and I normally let the chicks do the work. That being said, I only have experience hatching chickens and turkeys, not guineas (first time). Should I just let the little guy/gal do its thing or is there something else I should be doing to try and help it out? Thanks!

How long has it been since the pip?
I'd say about 18 hrs before I did a little something. This morning the broken piece of the shell was off but the membrane was intact and while still white, forming around the shape of the chick. I checked for signs of life and it was alive...not vigorous but its chirping faintly. At about 20 hrs I gently took tweezers and pinched a tiny pin hole in the membrane to hopefully let it breath. I have no idea where the beak exactly is but I'm hoping the tiny hole will give it a chance as it (hopefully) has access to air. All I could see where feathers and it seemed pretty wet in there so it's not dried out. That's all I have.

I'd say about 18 hrs before I did a little something. This morning the broken piece of the shell was off but the membrane was intact and while still white, forming around the shape of the chick. I checked for signs of life and it was alive...not vigorous but its chirping faintly. At about 20 hrs I gently took tweezers and pinched a tiny pin hole in the membrane to hopefully let it breath. I have no idea where the beak exactly is but I'm hoping the tiny hole will give it a chance as it (hopefully) has access to air. All I could see where feathers and it seemed pretty wet in there so it's not dried out. That's all I have.
I would have done the same... Now it's just to wait and see what happens. Please keep us updated!

Just an update as we all learn from each other here. Something was inherently wrong with this egg...from the air cell not forming properly to the chick just not showing any vigor. As the membrane that I original punctured began to dry, I gently found the beak and uncovered it so the chick could breath and so its face and eyes didn't get stuck to it. About 12 hours later it died without ever any real attempt to fully hatch. It wasn't stuck...I removed the body with ease afterwards.
This was from a very early spring batch which was showing low fertility and poor overall embryonic development so I guess the weather and fertility quality had a say. The latest batches are faring much better.

Just an update as we all learn from each other here. Something was inherently wrong with this egg...from the air cell not forming properly to the chick just not showing any vigor. As the membrane that I original punctured began to dry, I gently found the beak and uncovered it so the chick could breath and so its face and eyes didn't get stuck to it. About 12 hours later it died without ever any real attempt to fully hatch. It wasn't stuck...I removed the body with ease afterwards.
This was from a very early spring batch which was showing low fertility and poor overall embryonic development so I guess the weather and fertility quality had a say. The latest batches are faring much better.
Sorry to hear of your loss. I'm glad the other batches are having better luck!

Back
Top Bottom