Air cell question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kevyrevy, Jan 6, 2015.

1. kevyrevy

kevyrevy New Egg

Nov 1, 2014
    I am on day ten of hatching some very pricey Crele Orpington eggs. I have hatched them before as well as a few other batches and all have been shipped. Also have hatched some of my own eggs all with great success, had a 100% hatch rate once!
    My question is about my air cell in these eggs I'm incubating now, which are on day ten. I have never had eggs with possibly detached or separated air sacks, until now. They look as to be what I see others call "saddle shaped". What really makes me nervous is that I see no veins in any of the eggs(9). I did read that someone said they have had some clear ones be sneaky that by day 10 looked clear and by day 14 the egg was mostly dark with a developing chick.
    I can admit that my humidity is 38-42 and I probably should get that up 50-55 as I just read that humidity could possibly help the air cell, is this true? Also my thermostat is very touchy. Temp is going between 98-100. I feel as if that is okay, if I try to adjust t-stat it will jump to 102 and then I freak and back it off and then it will be 97-99. That's why I don't want to touch it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ps: I did let the eggs sit for 24 hrs, at room temp. point end down before I incubated.

2. LinaNate

LinaNate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    Southern Illinois
    I'm on about day 9 of my shipped egg incubation- my first shipped eggs experience.

Did you candle after they rested 24 hrs?

I did a 24 hr rest w/ large end up. 4 were "floating" air cells after the rest, 2 appeared to have reattached. I put the 4 damaged air cell eggs upright w/ large end up in incubator and gave em another 2 days of rest- aka no turning in the incubator. Those 4 damaged air cells still appear to be "clears". The 2 that seemed to reattach have been turning normally in my incubator (one was a saddle shaped sack) and they both had what I though was vein development on day 7 but now I'm thinking they are just rings of death as the veins aren't spidering out just continuing around the egg:

[​IMG]

So, to answer what I think your question is... Yes damaged air sacks can develop, many saddle shapers have been reported to hatch- some with a helping hand as they can have wrongly positioned chicks/ air sacks. I'm not completely sure if a detached air sack- that doesn't reattach- can hatch though. I kind of wondering about that.

3. kevyrevy

kevyrevy New Egg

Nov 1, 2014
    Hey thanks so much for your reply. I am now on day 13 and I'm about to regretfully pull the plug. All eggs are still clear, air sacs are still saddle shaped and distorted. Just wanted to give them every chance since I paid $84 dollars for them (crele orpington). Funny though earlier this summer I received five eggs in the mail from e-bay, my incubator was acting up so I rigged a $2 foam cooler with a 25w bulb and went on to hatch all five. Had no fan or thermostat. Just poked holes in cooler with pencil and when it got too hot I'd prop lid slightly. Got those eggs for only $26. I'll never forget that hatch. If you see the crele rooster in my avatar pic, he came from the $2 light bulb cooler-bator!
    I wish you the best of luck Lina Nate on your hatch!

4. LinaNate

LinaNate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    Southern Illinois
    Thanks! I think I'm pulling the plug too. Day 14. All the eggs look the same as they did 5 days ago but now I've got a new 36 eggs to hatch now and I too have a homemade "coolerbator" I'm going to dust off!

5. kevyrevy

kevyrevy New Egg

Nov 1, 2014
    Congrats on getting those eggs and how nice of them to give all those extras. Your husband sounds like my wife, "Do we really need more chickens." I think I am addicted to hatching eggs now. I may even start hatching and selling who knows.
    Any way I did pull the plug on my batch of Crele eggs. And all in good time as I found some on e-bay that just came today and at this very minute I'm off to pick up some more eggs locally as soon as I type this, LOL!!
    I think your idea is pretty good about setting all that you can and then candle and replace any non viable eggs with whatever didn't fit in the fist time. You could also check out you tube and find Rush Lane Poultry. I have followed this guys tutorials and built a very nice incubator out of a foam cooler, pc-fan, two light bulb sockets, and a (lower water heater thermostat. Good luck to you my friend!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by