Air Cell questions, please help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Nicolla, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Nicolla

Nicolla Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    North Alabama
    I am on Day 8 with my Welsummer and EE eggs. I candled them tonight and I weighed them. Their weight is right on track with a 5% weight loss, but most of their air cells seem large, not like the pictures under the sticky for this forum, they seem more like they would be day 12 or so. Also, they aren't as round and even as the picture. I know two of my eggs have a detached air cell that I have been trying to rehabilitate by keeping them upright. So are the air cells seeming large an indication that I need my humidity higher even though they are on target with weight loss? What do the not round air cells mean? Sorry I'm new at hatching, this is my first time.

Thank you so much!!

2. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

If these are shipped eggs they could have lost some moisture during shipping depending on the conditions. You don't say what your humidity is but I would bump it a bit. If the air cell is too big the chick doesn't have enough room to grow.

3. Nicolla

Nicolla Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    North Alabama
    Ok I will, thank you so much! I am just so worried that I am doing something wrong. I was told to do the dry incubation method and try to keep the humidity between 25% and 35% but its been raining here lately so its been around 40%. Apparently that is too low though. If its been too dry for them can I save them by bumping it up or is it too late? I'm so worried now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by