air cell ?s

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by monita, Oct 17, 2009.

1. monita

monita Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2009
    Shelbyville, Tennessee
    how long after you set the eggs should you start seeing an air cell? on my first hatch (not hatched yet) they already had air cells when i took over the incubation process ( after hen abandoned nest). i started my first official hatch on 10/13 and i candled the eggs on 10/16 when i locked down the other eggs to see if there was an air cell or veining yet but nothing that i noticed. i was wondering about how long it takes before i should notice the air cell. surely there should be one in my eggs by the time these hatch (due 10/19 -10/20) right?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    If they are really fresh eggs, it takes a while to see it. I think I always see it my first candling at day 5 or 7.

3. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    I can see air cells in mine as soon as they are laid. It is very small, less than 1 cm but it is there.

4. happi752

happi752 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Casa Grande
    I set 32 eggs on October 10th and I candled on October 14th because I had the turner stop turning the eggs. I did not really see the air cells then, however tonight is October 17th and I had to do a candle again because I had a power outage and the temps dropped extremely low. I was lucky I only lost 4 eggs. Anyway, tonight I have very well defined air cells.

5. monita

monita Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2009
    Shelbyville, Tennessee
    alright... so i should be seeing them the next time i candle. that's great. thanks for the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by