Air Cell Size and how to help it along?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Arielle, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I looked at a few turkey eggs on day 21, with maybe 7 days to go. I'm concerned that the air cell are not large enough and do not match the diagrams that I've seen. One at chick scope really make my air cells look too small. THe air cells match day 14 or a little bigger.

The only thing I could think of was to weigh the eggs and compare the weight to some eggs in storage from the same hen. BUT what scale to use???

ANd how do I reduce the moisture level even more in 4-5 days? I'm trying to use the AC in another room to help by opening doors between the rooms; I tried the dehumidifier but the amount of heat put off by it was staggering.

THis hatching thing is for the birds!![​IMG]

2. anaiyuk

anaiyuk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Alaska
    To reduce moisture I would reccomend dry incubation for the next few days.

3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks Anaiyuk. Sorry, I forgot to put that info in on the original post; have been dry incubating since day 7ish when I saw that the air cells had not increased at all.

I'm really worried. They might drown.I'm letting the temps run on the lower side hoping to gain some time. And got the AC going and the RH has dropped a bit 27-30%

What we do for hatching eggs!!

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Kitchen scales are best for egg weights. Make sure the vents are open to allow air flow and increase in the air cell size.

5. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

Quote:IMO, I don't think chicks/poults/etc drown until they actually pip the membrane. That is when they start breathing.

6. anaiyuk

anaiyuk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Alaska
    If the aircell is to small they can drown. although, if you have been using dry incubation methods and you believe the aircell is too small then having a fan in there would help. I would also ventilate well. The humidity that you mentioned it was at should be fine! Also, FL chickens is good at dry incubation from what I've read and has experience with it!

7. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Thanks Ana, I prefer dry incubation for sure here. We pop call ducklings out like they are M&M's around here so it works for us. Still air I found was harder to get a good hatch. The air moving makes a huge difference. If you don't have a force bator, get a small desk fan at target or walmart and let itmblow across the bator from the outside. Monitor the humidity levelmif you do this as it may change quickly.

Feel free to keep sharing who the eggs are doing or PM me if I don't check in quick enough here. We are running 4 bators right now and approaching lock down with them all within 3 days of each other.

Shellie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by