Air Cell size

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by spowell, Sep 20, 2011.

1. spowell

spowell Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Rocky Point, NC
    I have noticed that some of the air cells in my eggs are huge [​IMG] The air cell is around the top and up the side. on about 6 eggs out of 26. The rest are all about the same size. Is something wrong?[​IMG] They have been in the bator for 10 days. My Humidity is running about 50% Oh, I also have Japs in there, for 14 days, that have not lost any weight in the last week, they lost 7% the first week. Any advice would be great.

I did not weigh the batch of 26 when I started them.

2. shanshan51

shanshan51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Vacaville, CA
    I noticed on the eggs I had shipped that they had much bigger air cells. Were yours shipped as well?

3. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:the ones where the Air Cell goes up the sides, their borderline getting ready to detach which means they were handled rough through mailing.. They'll still grow an hatch though so dont be worried. I even have 2 that have completely detached air cells and their growing!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  4. spowell

Apr 26, 2011
    Rocky Point, NC
    Yes, they were shipped. Ok, I'll try not to worry. I was thinking that they aren't going to have enough room to grow. They have only been in 10 days. Will they hatch the same time as the rest? or Early?

5. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:They'll hatch the same! an they'll grow just fine! [​IMG]

6. spowell

Apr 26, 2011
    Rocky Point, NC
    Quote:the ones where the Air Cell goes up the sides, their borderline getting ready to detach which means they were handled rough through mailing.. They'll still grow an hatch though so dont be worried. I even have 2 that have completely detached air cells and their growing!

I noticed your name about Seramas. I have been looking into them. Can you tell me how big they are at adult weight? They look tiny.

7. spowell

Apr 26, 2011
    Rocky Point, NC

I noticed your name about Seramas. I have been looking into them. Can you tell me how big they are at adult weight? They look tiny.
    Sorry my computer had a brain freeze and double posted

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  8. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg

Their tiny! my 5 month old hen can fit in the palm of my hand!
    they go by classes -

COCKS HENS Micro -
    Micro - under 9 ounces Micro - under 8 ounces
    A - 9.1 to 13 ounces A - 8.1 to 12 ounces
    B - 13.1 to 16 ounces B - 12.1 to 15 ounces
    C - 16.1 to 19 ounces C - 15.1 to 17 ounces
    D - over 19.1 ounces D - over 17.1 ounces

9. spowell

Apr 26, 2011
    Rocky Point, NC
    Quote:I noticed your name about Seramas. I have been looking into them. Can you tell me how big they are at adult weight? They look tiny.

Their tiny! my 5 month old hen can fit in the palm of my hand!
    they go by classes -

COCKS HENS Micro -

OMG..... I guess housing demands are easier to meet for them. What kind of personalty's do they have, are the friendly? Flighty?

10. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:Their tiny! my 5 month old hen can fit in the palm of my hand!
    they go by classes -

COCKS HENS Micro -

OMG..... I guess housing demands are easier to meet for them. What kind of personalty's do they have, are the friendly? Flighty?

Their known for their friendly disposition. I have found a few that have turned jumpy (they were all roos though) but for the most part they are very lovely birds! and housing is much easier!

Here is my 5 week old Frizzle Serama cockerel!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by