Air cell too small?

Smileybans

Crowing
Nov 13, 2020
Upstate New York
I’m doing a dry incubation in a still air incubator and this is what the air cell looks like in the eggs. I have 30 eggs in the incubator. They’re on day 16. Is the air cell too small? The diagrams I’ve been following for all my incubations say it is. This is the smallest the air cell has been at day 16 for any of my hatches but would like others opinions.

These pictures are taken through the brinsea egg scope candler.
D34B733B-A7EB-473B-9864-3E36E4B0E5B1.jpeg
B9597037-DEE1-4BD3-9D85-469924952B78.jpeg

TBH I do not know how doing a dry incubation affects the rate of loss inside the egg, never done a run that way. I am curious though so I want to watch this thread.

I know with my incubations, with humidity and forced air in the mix. My eggs seems to sometimes gain air cell space at different rates. Maybe this is a development thing? The baby in that egg developing slower?

I’ve done quite a few dry incubations now and prefer it over the recommended method. Especially with my still air incubator. I was having chicks drowning when I was adding water to it because the air cell was too small. I’m hoping that isn’t the case here and the amount of eggs in the incubator hasn’t messed with the humidity loss.

I’ve done quite a few dry incubations now and prefer it over the recommended method. Especially with my still air incubator. I was having chicks drowning when I was adding water to it because the air cell was too small. I’m hoping that isn’t the case here and the amount of eggs in the incubator hasn’t messed with the humidity loss.
How did the eggs turn out?

I had 20 make it to my lockdown incubator, if this is the hatch I’m thinking of, and 13 have hatched. The other 9 weren’t ready to go into lockdown and one I miscalculated and hatched in my still air incubator. So the air cell wasn’t too small. But in some of my shipped eggs there were saddle air cells and the chicks pipped in the middle of the egg. One has wry neck now. But nothing that I can’t deal with. Thank you for asking.

Back
Top Bottom