Air cell

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Buck Creek Chickens, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I candled my eggs yesterday and founr the air cell on the side, its the size of a normal air cell. Plus, there is a chick in there.
    Is this chick going to be able to hatch? I've never seen this before. Also it one of my eggs not a mailed egg, can't whine about the post office miss handleing eggs. [​IMG]

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    Are you saying its not on the top of the egg but the side? Interesting... Good Luck! [​IMG]

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

I have some serous doubts about it hatching.

4. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    it's tack eggs, the air cells have detatched. it happens alot with shipped or jared eggs. some people say they will not hatch at all. i have had them hatch with and without probs. they r 50/50 weather they will hatch or not it usually decreases chance of hatching but if u mark them with a pen or pencil and u watch for them at hatch if they r internal pipeing u can help them to hatch if u know what u r doing.

5. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Well I'm going to keep an eye on it and see what happens, I did mark were the air cell when I candeled [​IMG]

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I wonder if you put it in an egg carton if standing it up would move the air bubble to the big end again and give it a better chance to hatch.... Don't do it just cuz I posted this. I am just thinking out loud.

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    When it comes time for hatching I would try to make sure the air cell is up. If it's staying in one place (sometimes they float around) then I would mark that spot on the egg and when you set them for hatching set the mark up. So long as the chick pips into the air cell first it should hatch fine. Even if it doesn't I've had some break straight through the middle of the egg without using the air cell. For some reason my hatch of dark brown eggs (mutts) all did that. The air cells were kind of tipped sideways instead of centered over the end and more than half pipped to the opposite side toward the middle of the egg so they didn't hit the air cell. Still had 7 out of 10 hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by