1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

AIR Cell

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gozoish, Oct 7, 2011.

1. gozoish

gozoish New Egg

Sep 16, 2011
    hello,

i just received the eggs today, and before incubating i candled them and i can see that the air cell is wobbly.... is in normal for posteed eggs??? do they still have a chance to hatch??

thank you all for your help

david

2. JEH1984

JEH1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Asheville NC
    I had two that was like that and they are developing fine, far as I know. I go in lockdown on Oct 12. I would let them sit for a while before you put the into the incubator.

3. gozoish

gozoish New Egg

Sep 16, 2011
    thanks for reply... how long shall i let them without starting the incubator?

thanks

david

4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

i throw mine in right away.. I have had eggs arrive with loose air cells.. and some that looked like you took an egg beater to the air cells (lots and lots of bubbles)

letting them sit for 24 hours did NOTHING to help my eggs.. none of the air cells reattached and none merged back into one big air cell by letting them sit

so I put mine in right away and turn on the auto turner.. have had them hatch out just fine

5. gozoish

gozoish New Egg

Sep 16, 2011
    so should i turn on the egg turner right away??? because once i read that turning should start on day 3??

thanks

6. JEH1984

JEH1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Asheville NC
    I let mine just come up to warm temp. The eggs were cold when I got them and didn't want to chance it. Everyone is different with their eggs.

7. ih66series

ih66series Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Altoona, PA
    Turn on the auto-turner right when you put them in.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  8. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by