Air cells...Am I on track?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by spowell, Sep 23, 2011.

1. spowell

spowell Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Rocky Point, NC
    My Jap eggs are due to go into lockdown on Sunday... [​IMG] I have been weighing the eggs, as of yesterday they had lost 10% I think in my area (SE NC) I was keeping my Humidity to high. I was told to keep it at 50% but the eggs were not loosing enough weight so I started letting the water dry up completely before adding more this past week.

In the same Bator I also have 40 silkies. Due to go into lockdown on Wed 9/28 (5days). Their weight loss is 11%

Am I on track? [​IMG] I have read they can loose anywhere from 13-18%, correct? Anything else I need to know? I've been reading about chicks drowning and would like to avoid that if possible. Thanks [​IMG]

2. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I don't weigh mine. I keep my humidity at 40-45% til lockdown. You should be fine.

3. spowell

Apr 26, 2011
    Rocky Point, NC
    I figured I would weigh the first hatch because that would tell me where I was with my humidity. Did I need more water or did I need to open an extra vent? I think next time I will fill the water pan and open an extra vent. Without an extra vent open the humidity runs about 50%. Unless someone has better suggestion. [​IMG]

4. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi there

I think your eggs need to lose more weight before lockdown and usually I like them to have lost around 14-15% by internal pipping. Your Silkies seem to be heading in the right direction but again 11% total loss is a little low. I would keep the humidity down to get a target loss of 15-16% by external pipping and avoid lockdown conditions until you reach your target weight loss or see external pipping.

Here's a link to an earlier article which may help you;

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=491013

More links and incubation information is available on our website;

http://oakgarthgeese.com

Best of luck [​IMG]

Pete [​IMG]

5. spowell

Apr 26, 2011
    Rocky Point, NC
    Great, thanks [​IMG] I appreciate any help I can get.

6. rarely bored

rarely bored Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    Central California
    I agree with Pete. Do let us know how they hatch.

7. teamsunbelt

teamsunbelt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Midland, NC
    One more Air Cell question. I have a Bantam egg in the incubator. When I orginall set the egg, I set it upside down. It is very round and I missed the air cell. When I candleled at 10 days, I realized my error. There is diffenetley some growth in the egg. I marked it and turned it air cell up. How will this affect growth or will it stop now?

8. CSisley

CSisley Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Eastern NC
    Hello spowell,
    I currently have 10 days left in the countdown using a Brinsea Mini Advance. I live in Eastern North Carolina and I too was concerned about the eggs loosing enough weight. I've intermittently kept half of the water pot full and have allowed it to dry out quite a few times. With water added, the humidity would be about 49%, without water added it would drop to about 36%. I weighed the eggs again today and they are all either close to, or at a 14% loss. I decided from here onward I won't allow the water pot to dry in the hopes they won't loose much more weight. Before lockdown I'll add water to both sides of the pot to get the humidity above 65%. I’ve got 1 Swedish Flower Hen egg and 5 Blue Laced Red Wyandotte eggs and I’m pretty sure I have 3 or 4 developing as they should. The eggs were shipped from a location two hours away and when they arrived (they were very well packed, bubble wrapped and suspended in packing peanuts) two out of eight of them had loose or ruptured air cells so I think if I have a 50% success rate I’m doing pretty good. I'd love to hear how your hatch turns out.

9. spowell

Apr 26, 2011
    Rocky Point, NC
    Hi CSisley

Well, I too have at least 8 out of 47 that have detached air cell. Everything I've read here says they should hatch fine [​IMG] I hope so. This is my first hatch and everyone told me to keep the humidity at 50%, even my neighbor. But I think that was to high. I have let the water dry out now since yesterday and have had a little more weight loss this morning. Not enough though. So I will leave it dry thru tomorrow and decide what to do then. They still had only lost 10.5% this morning. Do you think the days and days of rain here has slowed them down more? Where are you at in SE NC?

10. CSisley

CSisley Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Eastern NC
    I tend to think that 50% is on the high end, the directions for my Brinsea say it should between 40 and 50%. This is my first incubation and hopefully first hatch too although I've taken care of chickens since I was a little girl. I've already had to throw out one of the eggs with a ruptured air cell, I opened it up on day 7 and there was absolutely no development. The other one with a ruptured cell is on my list of iffies, I haven't given up on it but neither am I letting my hopes get too high. I think you're doing the right thing trying to increase your weight loss but I wouldn't expect huge changes in this short amount of time. I wouldn't be surprised at all that the rain would have an impact, after all the air conditioning can't get rid of all the humidity and incubators are impacted by their surrounding environment. I live in New Bern which isn't SE but I'm sure we have similar humidity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by