Air Cells in Shipped Eggs??

leecey411

Crowing
16 Years
May 31, 2007
I just looked at some of my recently arrived eggs and I do not see an air cell. Should I? How long do you let eggs sit before putting them into incubator?

You may see only a small darkish spot upon candling at the top of the egg. The aircell will be very small, most likely. I only let mine sit maybe six hours then put them in-just to allow them to come up to room temp.

Hi Aleece! On very fresh eggs you might not see an air cell
smile.png

I've always thought 6 to 8 hrs was plenty long to let shipped eggs 'rest' (they aren't getting any younger).

Good luck!
Lisa

Hi Lisa,
They came today and I have them resting before setting. I am so excited!

Last edited:
Hi Leecy! What breed did you get? I got buff orps a little over a week ago...Jody said let them sit for 6 hours or so, and I candled last night (day 7) and they look good! Good luck!

Hi Cherdon,
Glad to hear they look good! Keep everyone posted of their progress. I put in 44 eggs tonight! Naked Neck eggs from DipsyDoodleDoo, Sizzles from jimnjay and silkies with the chance of a Showgirl from kentuckysilkies. If all goes well I hope to have quite a fun collection!

Last edited:
I know all about collections! Here's what my son has ordered!
Blue/Black/Splash Orpingtons
Mille Fleur d Uccle
Porcelain d Uccle
Cream Brabanters
Silkie
Ameracauna
Ohiki
Onagadori
Andalusian Mixed

And those are the ones I can remember right off the top of my head! I have 3 incubators, fixing to pick up 2 more from my flemish giant rabbit breeder in CO, too!!

I WISH I had 44 eggs right now! I have 14 BO eggs and 17 button quail eggs in the bator, 28 cochin eggs to be put in before bed! But by the end of next week I'll have all 3 bators going!!

Keep us updated on your eggies!!

Hey Dipsy!! You can't say that because you're contributing to my chaos!! Oh, and I lied! I have 2 batches of Silkies (one from you, Dipsy!) 2 batches of EE (one from you, Dipsy) and a dozen frizzles (all you, dipsy!!) AND you asked if I had more room! Which, of course, I do!! I have 2 acres of land, only one coop so far, and DH is building 3 more...So, LOL, of course!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom