1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Air cells look strange

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Homesteadin, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Homesteadin

Homesteadin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2015
    Hello! I am a first-timer, incubating 8 khaki campbell eggs that were shipped to me - originally had 9 and after candling yesterday on day 7 found that 7 are doing great, one is kind of questionable so far, and one was infertile. I am happy with that especially considering these eggs were shipped and I am also using a food dehydrator I rigged up for incubating - I almost can't believe it's working, haha!
    I do have one concern, though. A couple air cells look strange - like part of the veins and membrane are stuck up on one side of where the air cell should be, and the air cell is tilted down part of the side... So if you look at the broad side od the egg, it's half air cell and half membrane/veins. Has anyone seen this before? Will it cause problems later on or the need to assist in hatching? I have moved the eggs to broad-side up position in a cut up egg carton instead of having them on their sides to hopefully help with any air cell problems... But are there any other ideas out there?

2. Buck Oakes

Buck Oakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Air cells aren't always in line, some are titled till they get ready to hatch i would just wait and see, even if something was wrong i wouldn't know how you could fix it.

3. Homesteadin

Mar 16, 2015
    Will do, thank you

4. Invision

Invision Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    Washington, Kitsap County
    Just leave um alone, and wait another 20 days :) mine hatched just last Thursday and Friday

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  5. Homesteadin

Mar 16, 2015
    Oh man those are stinking cute! What was your hatch rate? Did you have any hatching issues? Just curious because I am hearing some people saying ducks are harder to hatch than chicks and have read about some pretty some complicated hatching processes. I've probably just been doing to much reading, hahaha. I like your water setup there, by the way - think I'll copy that!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  6. Invision

Jul 24, 2014
    Had better hatch rate with these then I did with quail...

I did follow brinsea's method of cooling eggs after day 7, I set my incubator to turn off for an hour and a half once a day (that time frame worked for me cause you want the shell to get down to about 87-88 degrees, might be different for you depending on how cold your house is.) but stopped turning heat off on day 25 (lockdown) 16 eggs ended up with 10 ducklings I checked the remaining eggs (float testing) and had no movement on day 30, so I tossed them out.

7. Invision

Jul 24, 2014
    They also did take longer to get out of the shell once piped though almost 26 hours, they also leave behind the empty yolk sack, which is kinda gross (looks like a gross buger). Quail once piped are out in about 45 to an hour in my experience.

8. Homesteadin

Mar 16, 2015
    I am going to start cooling and misting on day 10 (tomorrow), I'm glad to hear of someone else doing that... some say it is not necessary but it makes sense to me. I really hope all 7 can make it to the end! But I guess I have to be prepared for possible loss. AND possible long time frame for hatching out after pipping; I shall resist the urge to assist. :) I am considering letting them hatch in the cut up egg carton I have them in now... but I suppose I have only read (so far) about people doing that with hatching chicks - supposedly it is less mess and aids them in orienting correctly and not knocking other eggs around.

9. Invision

Jul 24, 2014
    Yeah I also have see that the ducklings don't require much heat after a day or two, I keep my house at about 70 degrees, and they could care less about my Ecoglow20 heater. they actually were sitting on top of it, but They are defiantly more skittish then any bird I have dealt with. Mabye it's just ducklings in general though. These are my first ducks that I have hatched, but they are warming up to me because of peas. They love them (they also get chick grit).

10. Homesteadin

Mar 16, 2015
    That's funny about the heat, thise little sillies! I'll keep in mind that peas make khaki friends. Just ordered my starter - a organic chick starter. Are you supplementing niacin at all?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by