Air circulation amount during incubating???????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by blayt90, Apr 4, 2018.

1. blayt90

blayt90 Crowing

Jan 11, 2018
    Magee, Mississippi
    My Coop
    Is to much air circulation a bad thing when incubating eggs? The reason I asked is because I added an extra fan to my incubator thinking it was a good thing. Last hatching I hatched 14 out of 17 eggs with the factory fan only. This time I lost every egg I had and I had added a extra fan to circulate more air. Did I kill all my eggs by having to much air circulation?

2. No absolutely you did not kill all your eggs by too much air circulation (I am guessing you mean fresh air) if you still maintained proper temp and humidity levels. A tip, cover all ventilation holes for the first 10 days of incubation, new research on this..

3. blayt90

blayt90 Crowing

Jan 11, 2018
    Magee, Mississippi
    My Coop
    The fan was circulating the air inside the incubator to try and keep from having hot spots. It was not blowing in anymore fresh air.

4. Thanks for the clarification, air circulation as you have pointed out should really stabilize the temperature and not have any affect whatsoever on hatch rates.

blayt90 likes this.
  5. blayt90

blayt90 Crowing

Jan 11, 2018
    Magee, Mississippi
    My Coop
    I just thought it was that because that is all I changed and lost all my eggs compared to hatching almost all last time.

6. How did your eggs develop or lack there of? I am interested to find out what happened too. Do you do weight percentage loss checks?

7. blayt90

blayt90 Crowing

Jan 11, 2018
    Magee, Mississippi
    My Coop
    I did for first 10or 15 days average loss was .2 ounces in weight every 5 days. I have a feeling my settings were played with by my kids the other day. And it is my fault for not checking everything twice a day like I should.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: