Air conditioning broke upstairs- chicks are 5 weeks old

Noobchick

Songster
8 Years
May 23, 2011
Creedmoor, NC
It's been such a bad day.
hit.gif

I gave my chicks the treatments to them to help with their sudden weight loss (yogurt, egg yolk, and apple cider vinegar in their water). I then fully cleaned out both brooders along with feeders and waterers. The whole process took over 2 1/2 hours.

When I came out, the upstairs temperature had gone up 5 degrees, from 75 to 80. I know its hotter than that in the bathroom though. Probably 85 or a little hotter. The chicks are 5 weeks old and almost fully feathered. I don't have any heat lamps on and the blinds are closed. Calling a repairman for the A/C now.

Do I need to do anything to lower the temperature or will they be okay?

I'd keep some air moving wherever they are, maybe a fan sucking air across the brooder, blowing away, something like that, so there is some gentle air movement and the ammonia fumes and such are sucked away. And no heat lamp, you're right about that.

All I have is a box fan. Would that be too much air movement? I can go out and buy a smaller fan if necessary.

We have what i would think is a standard size guest bathroom: tub, toilet and two sinks in a counter. I can also shut the cats up somewhere and open the bathroom door if necessary.

Im sorry if Im asking too many stupid questions today. Between their weight loss and now the A/C going, Im a nervous wreck.

Edited To correct spelling mistake

Last edited:
A box fan will work, just turn it on low or med.

Do you have a coop ready for them? At 5 weeks old, unless your outside temps. are vastly different, it would be a good time to move them.

That doesn't sound too hot (85) but a fan is great and if you're really really worried about them, give them a little bath in cool NOT COLD water. Or just spritz them with water to help evaporate any excess heat. Being on the cool floor of the bathroom or tub would be helpful.

With any fan, you just don't want it blowing directly on them...no drafts. Aimed upwards would be best.

Feeding something like cold watermelon helps cool them internally. Recently someone on BYC said they fed their chickens frozen watermelon on a hot day and the birds loved it!

They're going to be fine.
thumbsup.gif

I'm not sure about the weight loss but temps. Have been as high as 100 here and mine were outside in shade and breeze and were fine. As long as they are eating, drinking and pooping they should be fine.

Ended up not being able to find the box fan so we shut up the cats and moved both brooders downstairs on towels. Two of thebirds were panting. Had never seen that before.
sad.png

Gritsar- I'm so glad to hear you say that! They're driving me nuts. Unfortunately, we dont have the coop finished yet; we'll have to spend more time on it and get it ready by this weekend. Temps are pretty hot here in NC- about 85-95 most days. I'll have to research on here how to combat that heat.

ReikiStar- frozen watermelon is a great idea! I'm going to remember that for future reference.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Quote:
I'm in western MD and we had a heat/humidity wave the week I put the girlies in the coop! It was awful for them! But they all survived and r adjusting to the weather here. I froze ice in a bottle and put it down in the waterer so they had cool water during the day. Mine have dirt and grass area to dig into to cool off. U can use a mister outside in the run on an area of the run that they can cool themselves off. I gave mine the watermelon rinds frozen to peck at. I left some melon on the rinds, froze them overnight, and then put in the run. They weren't sure what they were at first so I threw some oats on them and they started pecking the rinds and then went to town on them. By freezing them overnight made them last a little longer the next day. Good luck with ur babies! Lots of good info on here to help u!

sorry about the air breaking! hope it's fixed soon. it's been really hot here
th.gif
and we have frozen water bottles and put them in our girls tractor they loved them, they laid down right against them. good luck!!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom