Air filled crop weak 4 year old hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by viktoriacl, Sep 19, 2016.

1. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    I have a hen with a baseball sized air filled crop with a small amount of liquid in it. She also has light colored poop on her bum. Sour crop? I haven't had one yet! Her color is good but she's sitting inside of the coop all day :(

2. MissSister

MissSister Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2016
    I had an Egyptian Fayoumi pullet die from sour crop. I saved her from drowning and she barely made it, but a couple weeks later she got sour crop and I did not know what it was. Her crop was huge and seemed to be filled with air, and her breath was sour smelling. I have no experience with fixing it, but I hear you make them puke by holding them upside down and doing other things I cannot remember. I am sure you could look it up.

3. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I actually just had this with a chick of mine. Crop felt like it was full of air - the rotting food can release gases. It was sour crop, I think. I ended up giving him vegetable oil and massaged the crop and took food away. The next morning the crop had gone down. Now he's not getting any solid food for at least a week so I can be sure the blockage has passed.

Yogurt can help because chickens can get yeast infections when they have sour crop. Feeding yogurt can introduce bacteria that can help bring things back into balance. You can also give the affected bird vegetable oil to act as a lubricant to hopefully get the blockage that is causing this to pass.

Some people will also recommend 'vomiting' the hen to get the rotting food out of her crop. Be careful if you decide to do this because it can cause the hen to aspirate and die if done incorrectly.

People have also had luck treating this by feeding their hens a Monistat suppository.

Here is a further link that will give you some good information.

4. viktoriacl

Jun 23, 2010
    Thanks so much! I did make her vomit three times and then I really just wanted to let her catch her breath. I got a good amount out. She's seperate with just applesauce with probiotics and water with a little acv. Hope she makes it until morning and I'll reassess! Thanks so much!

5. viktoriacl

Jun 23, 2010
    viktoriacl

Thanks so much! I did make her vomit three times and then I really just wanted to let her catch her breath. I got a good amount out. She's seperate with just applesauce with probiotics and water with a little acv. Hope she makes it until morning and I'll reassess! Thanks so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by